XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
1st are the wheel bearings in my 01 KRD 220 sealed?? If not how do you get the out??

2nd How do you remove the bottem bearing on the steering stem??

Thanks in advance..

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
I repacked my wheel bearings Tuesday and I was able to pop the dust seals off of them pretty easily.

I thing the bearings in the steering head need something called a bearing race puller...you can get them at dennis kirk i believe or harbor freight or sites like that (and rockymountainatv)

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
May I ask, what makes you ask those questions?

If you have access to a recnt model KX service manual, you will see a super expensive, specially shaped bearing puller for the bottom steering bearing. IF you didn't already know, the bearing is somewhat of a light press fit.

Something like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3979

will not work, since it will not fit around the steering stops. Only a specially shaped puller will do.

If your lower bearing is shot, just use a Dremel (or similar rotary tool) and a small cut off wheel. BE CAREFUL to not cut into the steering stem.

You didn't mention WHY you want to take the lower steering bearing off, but if it is dirty, you won't gain ANYTHING by removing it. Just kill it with contact or brake cleaner and regrease. If it needs to be replaced, then just use the cut off wheel and be careful.

You CAN press the stem out to get the bearing off, but that is a bit extreme. :-)

Also, another comment based on too little info, you can get a new set of Pivotworks front wheel bearings and seals (two bearings and two seals) for $20 MSRP.

76, got any pictures of that 1987 Honda CR250R?! AWESOME!!

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
The reason I am asking, I am just getting the bike ready for the season and I have never really pulled any of the bearings and cleaned and regreased them.. My Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha seem to much easier to maintain..
I will work on the wheel bearings today. And I will just clean and try and regrease the lower streering head bearing with it on the stem.. Thanks for the advice guys.. I figured I would ask before I broke something...

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
glad2ride said:
If you take the bearings out, it is recommended to replace them. They normally are not greased. If they feel rough, replace them.
Right, Don't remove the bearings if they are still smooth.
The wheel bearings I bought from All Balls have seals on both sides so you really can't clean or re-grease them.
I say if there is any question just replace them with aftermarket parts, It's easy and pretty cheap.

XRIowa

Dec 8, 2004
Yea I was thinking about replacing them.. But on short notice I did not have the time..
I just left the bearing in the hub, pulled the cover off of it, sprayed the bearing clean with brake cleaner and jammed some bell ray water proof grease in there..

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
If you do eventually need to pull (or push) the wheel bearings out for replacement, remember that there is a retaining ring on the rotor side of the hub that will need to be removed.

And if you do eventually need to pull your lower bearing race from the steering stem, you can also (besides cutting it, or pressing out the stem from the lower clamp) use a cold chisel to slowly work the race away from the lower clamp.

Top Bottom