A few questions about my new 2004 KX-250F

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Finally got used to turning on my bike. I found that repeatedly kicking down the kickstart worked the best, instead of strong individual kicks. Anyhow, I've got about 2 hrs on the bike so far. I've been riding on dirt trails and the like. I love the bike it's great. Anyhow, I wanna start learning how to take the engine apart so that I can periodically check the condition and learn how to fix the engine on my own. Could someone give me a list of what tools I should buy for this type of job. Also, what are the most common jobs that I'd be doing? From what I hear, replacing the top end and the valves are the most common.

So far, I was gonna buy a digital vernier caliper, but I don't know what size I should get. Would a 6 inch digital caliper be big enough? I was also gonna get a hardcore 1/4 inch torque wrench. Also, I'm gonna get a maintenance stool to put the bike on as well. What other tools would I need? I'm also still waiting for the service manual to come in the mail.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you don't have a manual, get one. That is the best tool you will own. The 6" caliper should do you just fine. Do a search in this forum and in the Thumper forum and you will find lots of info. Some of the info is for other bikes but still applies to your KXF. Huge amounts of info just waiting to be read.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 27mm combination wrenches.

8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24mm sockets.

Metric feeler gauge.

Pocket magnet.

Don't scrimp on the sockets and wrenches. You'll regret it later. Craftsman is the cheapest I recommend. Snap-on is the best, but quite a bit more $$$.

Rotor

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Watch the range on quarter drive torque wreches. I have a 3/8 craftsman that works good. I too would say craftsman is the least expensive tool brand I would recommend. I have had bad experiences with mac tools, for the price snap-on is much better quality. I have found craftsman to be as good or better than mac.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
i would say craftsman over snap on just for availability, they both have lifetime warranties, its just that if you somehow manage to break a craftsman, you just run down to sears and replace it, snap-on i believe you have to order it from one of those trucks, however, having a nice big snap-on set is a pretty good ego booster :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
stumanarama said:
i would say craftsman over snap on just for availability, they both have lifetime warranties, its just that if you somehow manage to break a craftsman, you just run down to sears and replace it, snap-on i believe you have to order it from one of those trucks, however, having a nice big snap-on set is a pretty good ego booster :laugh:

Good point. I have that very problem with Mac. I have a pile of broken tools, and the dealer went under. Now I have to call and have them send a guy which will probly never happen. :bang:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom