A Lil Lateral freeplay on CounterShaft. Normal?

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
While inspecting the counter-shaft... I noticed that there was a small amount of side-to-side play on the counter-shaft sprocket. :yikes:

It did not seem like the shaft which drives the countershaft sprocket was moving at all when I was manipulating the counter-shaft to inpsect this side-to-side freeplay.

I'm guessing that the fact that the countershaft is worn and needs to be replaced... coupled together with a circlip which looks older and oxidized is what is allowing the countershaft to have some side-to-side freeplay on the splined shaft coming out from the cases.

Do all countershaft sprockets have this small/limited amount of freeplay? Or is this something that should become much better once I put on a new countershaft sprocket and new circlip?

-TheGDog

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
I do not know whether this is normal/OK but what I have found however is that some aftermarket sprockets have more play on the splined shaft than the OEM sprockets. I measured difference on aftermarket compared to OEM and found 0.2mm difference on spline channel width measurement, and this small ammount makes quite a difference to play on sprocket. I also suppose that if there was no clearance/play it would become a press fit which it is not, so limited play(small amount) should be OK but if sprocket is worn, replace it anyhow. If the shaft is worn, you should on close inspection see the splines are indented(sides of each spline no longer parallel where sprocket lies/fits) Hope this will help.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
It certainly does help man... thanks a bunch!

It didn't look too darn bad... but my brain reasoned that this was the kinda place where you probably wouldn't want any play at all.

Sigh... such a long way still left to go on this bike before can Daddy take her sexy body and bash it against some whoops!

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
If it fits sloppy then it will leak; the sprocket thickness is critical for the bevel to compress the o-ring onto the shaft. A little squeeze to get the clip on is how its supposed to fit.

Top Bottom