A maintenance advisory

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Checked your bottom chain guide lately? Ever?

I knew I should have earlier...the bottom block wasn't looking quite right. Took it off last night to find the rearward bolt holding the bottom block to be cut clear through!

Now that's gotta be a chain life extending item! Using it for a hacksaw! :(

Might be a good time to check yours!

NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I don't even have one, oops. The guy who owned the bike before me must have removed it to make the 50 tooth sprocket fit. Is it ok like that or should I buy one from Fredette?

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Get the Freddete unit.
You can turn teflon block upside down for double the life; unless you completely forget about it; must be an old age thing!

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
CC,
If you need a chain guide for the weekend I have a stocker that you can have if you want it. It only has a couple of rides on it since new as I also run the Fredette guide which is a nice sturdy part. Let me know and I'll send it south.
Dan

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I have a Fredette chain guide, and went from a rear 47 tooth sproket to a rear 51 tooth sproket with no problems.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I also found the kick stand bolt to loosen up over time. Tried to use lock tite to hold it in place, but it still loosened up. Had to drill a small hole behind the nut and put a small cotter pin in. works great now. Also, watch the bearings in the front (towards the engine) swing arm. Twice a year I'll pull my back suspension apart for greasing. It never fails, these bearings are always in need of grease. I wish there was a way to grease them (grease fitting?) without having to spend so much time/effort pulling the rear suspension off.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: frp guide.

I didn't get one'a those for one reason....they're BLUE! Ugh!

The one I DID get I haven't ridden with yet. Took some fussing with the rear bolt to get it away from the sprocket (47t).

Is the fredette unit similar to the oem in that the nylon pieces surround the chain? Or does it have simple nylon 'blocks' with exposed aluminum sides?

re: old age thing...
Who are YOU referring to? I'm ..uh...well... mmm...uh ... what were we talking about again? ;)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Nylon block at bottom (flipable) and alum. side plates.
As I'm sure you've read, these things wear out the masterlink as the chain just slops around when adjusted to oem spec tension (and chain/sporcket/guide allignment looks good).
It is a good ,simple guide IMO.
Oh looky there; never noticed that chain has been milling inside alum. side plate :flame:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Still running stocker or whats left of it. I need to replace the Nylon block at bottom. It's way beyond flipping. so if anyone has a stocker unit that they would like to get rid of, let me know.

Rich Graham

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2002
My first question to FRP, in regards to the chain guide, was to color choice!!! They have them in "Tanium", a color not quite alum and not quite gold. I have decided to work with the purple seat(painted frame dark purple) so there is no blue allowed. Has anyone located purple Acerbis handgurds??? Prefer them with alum inserts,but the rally brush are fine. I see them in pictures but that's as far as it goes!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The oem guide will abnormally wear the master link.

Consider that your guide already has a track worn in it (the slipper, too....on the swingarm). Put a wider chain on it and you can see the problem.

I've been 'advised' that after the o-ring chain wears its own sized grooves, the side plate wear will go away.

That wasn't true in my case. I replaced three master link clips over the course of two years on one chain. The clip would literally wear down to nothing.

The last time, I took the little bit left off, slotted the pins and 'riveted' the master link on.

Problem solved.

Most aftermarket guides are wider, and presumeably do not have the master link wear problem. I'll believe it when I see it.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Forgot to mention that my ride uses an O-ring chain with Fredette guide; the outside of chain rubs a little; the master link gets abused. Sides of block show wear on both inner & outer sides. I'm going to re-mount guide with no washers against swing arm and extra washers on inside of guide as soon as new DID. O-ring chain arrives.
I'll let you know if it helps although the above has lasted 1,500 miles with 3 master links and God knows how long with previous owner.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The fredette guide uses washers to space the guide away from the swingarm?

What about the rear-most bolt that doesn't go all the way thru the guide? How is the fredette guide configured to allow clearance of that fastener?

Maybe it's the type of faster used? Is it just a bolt/nut?

There is no charge for questions.......is there? ;)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Guide bolts to inside of bracket on swingarm (at least on a 94')
Previous owner installed washers between swingarm bracket and guide (he is a by the book kind a guy)
My thought is to remove washers to get guide closer to swingarm and then install spacer between block & inner side plate.
I know, it will be a bit sloppy and not as strong but the whole idea of keeping the chain in line by rubbing up against plastic is a bit clugey in the first place.
Two bolts sandwhich the whole mess in place.

scorpa280

Apr 29, 2003
I also found the kick stand bolt to loosen up over time. [/QUOTE]

I know what you mean after i just got mine, i think i had had it for two days i was going to lean it on the kickstand, but to my suprise my kickstand was dangling lifelessly at the side of my bike. I was riding mountain trails so luckily there was a tree nearby I could lean it on while i fixed it!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I was thinking about getting a Fredette chain guide sometime in the future, as I was horrified by Kawasaki's price for the little piece of nylon - about $80NZ ($35-40US), but if it causes problems with the o-ring chain, maybe not then. I guess about 3 years for the nylon to be worn out isn't too bad - riding pretty much every weekend. Mine was so bad the chain just sagged under the guide (i.e. nothing left of the bottom bit lol). I ended up with the front chain guide as well (top of the swingarm) as the spare parts guy didn't realise I meant the lower chain guide - that was over $100, but I've now got it for whenever the top one wears out - easier than sending it back.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Michelle,
I'm not so sure that the oem chain guide won't cause some chain wear as well. IMO, the chain will wear out from normal use before the side plate wear is an issue. You will have to replace master links occasionaly though.

innout

Mar 13, 2003
Chain guide? I wonder if this is whats wearing flat spots on my chain, and wearing my masterlink almost off? time to scope it out! Thank you!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…