A man dies and we argue his credibility?

railer

Nov 4, 2005
I had to take a step back and just look at the situation taking place on a dirt biking forum. What are we doing here? This man, who had a family that cherished him as a father and a husband, died in an unfortunate accident doing what he loved. Who the heck are we to judge him? What, becuase he's on TV? Nobody is forced to stare at the toob, much less certain TV shows. So why voice your opinion on it at all? Just keep it to yourself. After reading that long and honestly boring thread, I realize that instead of judging him, we should be judging ourselves.

If Steve Irwin was a highly decorated military man who had served his country honorably and died doing what he loved, would this banter have ever started? If the answer is no, then some thought should be taken, because what is the difference between a man who provides for his family being on TV, and a man who provides for his family being a soldier. I'll tell you the only difference is the line of work. He still pursues the american dream and contributes to society in one way or another, but most importantly, he gave his family the love and care that many people today lack.

Being in the military, I see so many soldiers that come from broken homes and the way it has affected them emotionally. It's something that takes a long time to recover from, if at all. It's something I'm glad I didn't have to endure, and my heart goes out to all that have. I can't imagine how I'd have turned out, had I not had the parents I did. I owe my life to them and only hope I can be 1/10th the people they are. They've given me everything. What I'm getting at is that Steve Irwin gave his family everything they needed and even though he's not with them anymore, the memory of him will drive his family to be great in the same way.

Steve Irwin's wife and child were extremely fortunate to have him, and they suffered a terrible loss. How can you possibly judge this man?

I'm sorry to beat a dead horse, but I couldn't help myself. I am completely envious of this man not becuase of the fame and fortune he had acquired in his life, but becuase of the family he HAD, and tragically(sp?) lost.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Good write, railer.

Two other threads have been closed down over some controversial statements concerning Irwin.

I am replying in this one, basically because I didn't get the opportunity to run my chops in the other two threads...

In my world, I saw Irwin pretty much as his pop eulogized him, as a "regular bloke". But only regular to the point that it seemed like the guy was genuine. An everyday sort of bloke like you or I. Not some self-centered, lost in space, media whore.

The exception is that Mr. Irwin was a freak.
And we all have met, or are such freaks. Persons who have a passion for their life's interests that goes above what the normal range for what simply enjoying something provides.
These types are rooted deep into their convictions and works, and devote their lives to pursuing that craft, hobby, interest, or whatever endeavor, to levels that are above what normal enthusiasts experience.

Often times persons of such passion may do things that are out of the ordinary. But that is simply part of being a freak. The freak, by his very definition, doesn't swing the bat the same way every other jamoke does to begin with.
Ordinary be damned, and if it takes some sensationalism and theatrics to drive points, or better yet to generate revenues, then so be it, in the mind of the freak I'm sure.

I'm also fairly certain that a bonofide freak, as I'm convinced Irwin was, isn't really worried about what his critics have to say about him. Then or now.
And I agree that none of us...really have the right to be judging Steve Irwin's life. Sure the guy did freaky antics, but good works and love were all around the guy.
His work for animals is, and will continue to be in his effigy, good stuff. And his family all appear to be sane, loving people, as do his colleagues.

His critics should be so lucky, or as credible.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Trolls will be trolls. Good posts Jaybird and railer!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Jaybird said:
Good write, railer.

Two other threads have been closed down over some controversial statements concerning Irwin.

I am replying in this one, basically because I didn't get the opportunity to run my chops in the other two threads...

In my world, I saw Irwin pretty much as his pop eulogized him, as a "regular bloke". But only regular to the point that it seemed like the guy was genuine. An everyday sort of bloke like you or I. Not some self-centered, lost in space, media whore.

The exception is that Mr. Irwin was a freak.
And we all have met, or are such freaks. Persons who have a passion for their life's interests that goes above what the normal range for what simply enjoying something provides.
These types are rooted deep into their convictions and works, and devote their lives to pursuing that craft, hobby, interest, or whatever endeavor, to levels that are above what normal enthusiasts experience.

Often times persons of such passion may do things that are out of the ordinary. But that is simply part of being a freak. The freak, by his very definition, doesn't swing the bat the same way every other jamoke does to begin with.
Ordinary be damned, and if it takes some sensationalism and theatrics to drive points, or better yet to generate revenues, then so be it, in the mind of the freak I'm sure.

I'm also fairly certain that a bonofide freak, as I'm convinced Irwin was, isn't really worried about what his critics have to say about him. Then or now.
And I agree that none of us...really have the right to be judging Steve Irwin's life. Sure the guy did freaky antics, but good works and love were all around the guy.
His work for animals is, and will continue to be in his effigy, good stuff. And his family all appear to be sane, loving people, as do his colleagues.

FWIW, I think that's just about right. :cool:

It seems some of his critics suffer from a bit of success envy.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thanks Guys great posts!

My other thread I just wanted to say my goodbye's not debate the person or his education!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Great post guys! I am in 100% agreement with you!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jaybird said:

Great stuff railer and Jay.

How could anyone not share in his enthusiasm for what he did? He entertained us and taught us about the critters that he loved.

RIP Steve.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I think Irwin was a cool guy and had a WHOLE lot more guts than I do. I'd never do even the mild stuff he did. Even though he took the risks he did, I see him as somebody who could do something I would never try, but wondered about. You kind of wonder what it would be like to wrestle an alligator but you would never try it, he did.

He will be missed.

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Like you guys said Steve Irwin had a passion for his work. I'm sure his family and work were what he cared about the most, he made a good living on teaching people about animals and their habitat while still being a great father to his kids and a loving husband to his wife.

Who are we to judge what he does for a living, he hasn't done anything wrong, he just wanted to share his passion for wildlife.

RIP Steve Irwin

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
RIP Steve.

Attachments

• SteveIrwin.jpg
    SteveIrwin.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 113

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Steve was a great example of what a human being should be - you'll be missed mate - RIP Steve Irwin.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I mourn his death because he left family and loved ones behind but for anyone here to belittle OR praise him on his career or what they think he was like in private life is confusing. I seriously doubt anyone knows for sure what he was like in RL, whether he did it for love or $$ much less how great a father he was or wasn't. I am most surprised how much interest his passing has created especially knowing how many other 'regular blokes' we all know and lose every year.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The issue of "stars die' and we get upset vs. a hero fireman, etc. relates to the fact that we get to "know" the stars/public figures, via the exposure. If a guy was known world wide as being "the great father", we'd mourn his loss as much, probably more. That doesn't take away from all the great fathers that die, that we don't know.

LET'S NOT TURN THIS NEW THREAD INTO ANOTHER OF THE LAST TWO. If you want to say something positive, go for it. The dissing has already been done. (not pointed at you Ed, but your post "could" lead to more of the same in the other threads)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Steve was a force for good here on earth. We lose good here daily. Steve is unique perhaps because of his ability to infect us with his excitment. I genually enjoyed watching his shows. He made learning both fun and easy.

I am NOT trying to take anything away from anyone else that has been a force for good that we have lost, but Steve was (and will continue to be) a force for good because of the medium he so completely transformed into a vehicle that communicated to, and infected us with, his enthusiasm for life and the natural world.

Godspeed Steve

Top Bottom