MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I debated on this, but decided to post this anyway. I wanted to let my Michigan Trail Riding friends know about a new journey my family and I are now on. I've been recently diagnosed with cancer. Initial results are that it's a slow-growing, low-grade type, but still it's a real shock. Surgery and chemotherapy are in my near-term future. I'd appreciate your thoughts and prayers for us as we battle this disease.

OutlawXR4

Sep 30, 2003
Mark, sorry to here the bad news. I've had a number of family members diagnosed with cancer, so I know what you and your family are going through. Hopefully everything works out, you and your family will be in my prayers.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
In addition to the prayers........whatever you need......just let me know.

TF

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery Mark. You've got a strong soul and great family behind you. I'd say that you'll beat it into submission by Rites of Spring!

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you find out? Regular physical, or were there symptoms?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog, I found out quite by accident. I had a physical, which was fine. About a month later I had a blood test for a work insurance policy, and I had two liver readings slightly elevated. I sent it to my doctor, and at first he didn't think much of it, then decided to have an ultrasound. I've had tests and scans since, and ultimately got confirmed on Friday. The surgeon said this is a rare cancer. I read more about it, and found that it's often found accidentally.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Well then, you already got some kinda good karma on your side!

My 73 year old father-in-law, who never has health issues and never goes to the doctor, found out he had prostate cancer after giving blood at a Red Cross blood drive.

That was just over a year ago, and after getting some rice seeds surgically implanted and radiation therapy, it is in complete remission.

Last edited:

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
Mark,

You are in our prayers.

Anything, anything we can do.... let us know.

We're in this together.

Bless you and your family,

Mike Sr., Edrye and our families

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi MarK:
I, like all your other riding buds, am SO glad that you chose to release the news to us! You and your family will be in our family's prayers and also onto our Church prayer list (1st name only for privacy sake!). Congradulations on the early discovery, I am sure this will play a huge part in your total VICTORY (KICK IT"S BUTT MARK!!!!!!). PLEASE, put me on the list of "those willing to help" if/when you need someone in the ring on your side.....
God Bless You Folks!!
Woodsy

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Mark

My prayers for you and your family.  This may be one heck of a journey you are now on, but no differently than you have made it through some nasty sections of single track...you can beat this one to!  Let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you! 

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mark
Good luck with it. Hope you got to it quickly enough. You have a wonderful family and I'm sure their support and your willingness to fight will win out.
Freddy

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by CircuitRider
Mark,

You are in our prayers.

Anything, anything we can do.... let us know.

We're in this together.

Bless you and your family,

DITTO! The Marzec's are there when you need them!

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Mark,
Our prayers are with you.
Don

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Mark, thanks for sharing your condition and new journey ahead.

You are surrounded by a good family and many friends who will be at your side while you conquer this disease.

Thoughts and prayers from the Rickshaw camp.

Keep in touch with the group let us know your progress.

Rickshaw

Hiller

May 22, 2001
You are in my prayers.

If you haven't already read "Lance Armstrong: My Journey Back To Life", it is a fantastic read. Even if you don't care about cycling.

Good Luck.
Mike

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Weissen family,

If you need anything, DO NOT hesitate to call!!!

I concur with Hiller, the Armstrong book is an excellent read that I recommend to everyone!

Be STRONG!!!

Mike Jr.

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Mark,

Make sure you stay positive man! My sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at age 27, and she fought the battle and won. I firmly believe that it was her positive attitude that helped her in the tough times. Don't let it get you down. I know you have a great support group right here, so keep us posted!! If there is anything I can do to help, my E-mail address is in my profile.

In the mean time, Stay positive!!

-Kurt

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Mark-

My thoughts and prayers are surely going to be with you and your family. Looks like you've got a lot of support here from the MTR's! I wish you a complete and speedy recovery, and I'm sure you'll be able to win the battle!

-Nathan

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. I've found that this kind of diagnosis makes one feel pretty isolated at times.

I thought I'd update you on what's happening. I've got a rare form of cancer call neuroendrine tumors. They usually start in the lower intestine, stomach or pancreas. I just finish another bunch of tests this morning trying to find the primary site, but they didn't find it in the stomach or large intestine (yeah, I had the "scope" from both ends. Fortunately I was gorped out so didn't have to watch). Nothing at all was found out of the ordinary. Friday, I'm having an MRI to check out the small intestine and pancreas.

I met with my oncologist yesterday, and he said that this type of cancer is very slow growing and very non-aggressive. Any treatment at this time would make me worse than the effects of the cancer itself, we he's having me wait on anything else until early next year when we'll rescan the liver sites and see if there's been any change. He suspects there won't be, and can go a long time like this. He says I've had this for years and didn't know it. If it weren't for the spots on the liver, there is absolutely NO other sign of a problem. All blood tests and other scans indicate absolutely nothing. Very strange, and very coincidental it was found at all.

So, while I'd like to just get this out of me so I can move on, the news is pretty good. Also, I've been able to lose 30-35 pounds through all of this, and will have to drop to high-school football days weight in the long haul. Physically I actually feel the best I've felt in a long time!

Which means I'll get to spike up my bike and get some riding in soon!!!

Again, I really appreciate the support you guys have given.

Mark Weissenborn and Family

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Hey Mark - you know, in an off road forum such as this, the use of words like "slow" and "non agressive" would normally be thought of as not necessarily good.  In your case - I would say Fantastic!  

I was talking to my wife about you a short while ago, wondering how you were doing - glad its lookin up!  thanks for keeping us posted.

(oh...in case you are looking for that 35 lbs you lost...I think i found it)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds GREAT Mark!!! No KTMmike You didnt find all of it, according to my family Doctor I recently found 9 pounds of it and we were both wondering where it came from - THANKS ALOT MARK!!!
Woodsy

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I read the first part of the Armstrong book. I'll tell ya what, I could've written it! Too many similarities, other than the extensiveness of my tumors compared to Armstrong's.

Andy and I got to ride a little at the local MX track today. What a beautiful day! I hope for good weather in a couple weeks so we'll be able to get out to a trail or two before Old Man Winter blows in permanently.

As far as my treatments and such, nothing on the schedule yet. I go in for an MRI on December 15, still trying to find the primary cancer site (elusive little bugger anyway). Then another CAT scan on January 27 to measure the growth of tumors in my liver. If they're growing, then we'll look at treatment options. If no growth, we wait another 3 months and check again. This is weird stuff.....

miScott

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 19, 2003
Mark,

I am sorry to hear your initial diagnosis, but glad to hear things are looking up. I have only met you in email and here on the forum, but even so, I can tell you are a great caring person. Some times these things are just a test of faith, and I have faith that all will work out. This world can not afford to loose a person like you.

Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Scott

Last edited:
Top Bottom