82nd

May 26, 2014
Hello, currently interested in getting a dirt bike. I would use the dirt bike just to go trail riding and just to have fun.. was wondering if I should get a 125 or 250? I'm still new to dirt biking so I think a 4 cycle would work better. I'm 5'7 & 135 lbs.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
In a four stroke anything smaller than a 230 cc would be too small for you.

A 125 two stroke would be an appropriate size but I would not recommend one for a beginner. Two strokes are bit harder for a beginner to master in general and a really small two stroke can be very frustrating.

Most of the major brands of dirt bikes have a "trail bike" and a "competition" bike series. The trail bikes are a lot cheaper, but heavier and less performance. They do tend to be much more reliable and long lasting than the high performance versions.

Examples of "trail bikes" are the Honda CRf230 or the Yamaha TTR-230. Examples of high competition bikes are Honda CRF250r or a Yamaha YZ450F

For your size, you want a "full size" bike, which would have a 21 inch front wheel and either a 18 or 19 inch rear wheel. The trail bikes tend to have lower seat heights so you might be more comfortable on one, but at 5'-7" you shouldn't have any difficulty on a competition bike.

A trail bike would be a great bike to learn on.

Rod

Top Bottom