Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
came true this weekend.

A friend, son of a friend and youngest member of a family that all love riding, died as the result of injuries sustained in a accident at Big Bend on a dual sport ride on Saturday.

We all want to share our passions and pleasures with our sons and daughters, but does this fear not always reside within the deepest and darkest recesses of our soul?

As a parent, my biggest fear is having to bury one of my children.

Give your children a hug and tell them that you love them. I know I will.

Godspeed Steve Smith Jr., You ride with me in my heart and soul.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sorry to hear that news Tony. Life is fragile and all too often - too short. Remind your friends that to continue to ride as a family is to honor their lost son.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
This is terrible new Tony, I am so sorry to hear this. My deepest sympathies and thoughts go out to the family.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Very sorry to hear that, Tony.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Godspeed Steve.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Here's some updates...
"We just received word from the Medical Examiner that Steve's cause of death was a major closed head injury.....His helmet protected the exterior but nothing could have protected the interior....

For the almost 40 riders at the scene.....Please take comfort in knowing that there was nothing any of us could have done.

God Bless you all for trying."

and

At this time I know how difficult it is to find any words that express your feelings.....The posts and emails we've received so far really do help and we thank all of you so much.....

It's most important to Linda and I to try to find something good to focus on in our time of loss....

In memory of our son Steven Andrew Smith we would be honored to accept donations to the MiniRocketman Fund.

We have chosen the Rider Down Foundation as the vehicle for this fund.

Please visit their site at http://www.riderdown.org/

We will work closely with them and ,in your name, will help direct the donations to do the greatest good within the extended family world of motorcycle riders, and their families.

As you will see on their site their good work has been felt very close to home for those of us here in Texas in the past....

Collectively I think we can use the Rider Down Foundation to best celebrate our son's life and help others in their time on need...

I know Junior would be supportive of this effort.....His time with us was so short but maybe we can make some of difference for others in the future..

Thank you so much..."

Tony and I will be at the memorial service later this week as well. :(

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Godspeed Steve

I cannot imagine the feelings that the family is going thru right now. To loose a child in any way has to be traumatic and something I pray to never experience. I hope they can take some solice in knowing the enjoyment he had participating in dirtbiking and the family memories of the othert rides will always be there. From Pats post I believe they are a family that had a true grasp on what life is meant to be and they helped Steve live his to short time to the fullest.

Please also remember that those who witnessed it are also hurting and second guessing themselves about how they could have prevented this tragedy.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Our deepest sympathies -
No one can imagine the loss unless they have experienced it -
Just getting my 6 & 7 year old riding, I know the fear.
We have a neice and nephew with Cystic Fibrosis who love to ride, when they are healthy enough - we know it's only a matter of time before they will be leaving us - we dread the day. We take confort in knowing how much joy riding gives them - and make every opportunity to do so, even though we know the risks.
Know one realy knows why our loved ones have to leave us, all we can do is take comfort in knowing we enjoyed the time we had with them.
God Speed - and our best wishes to the family and friends.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I moved this to the General Forum so that it could get more exposure and hopefully generate more interest in the fund that has been setup to honor Stevie Jr.

In case you missed it:
"In memory of our son Steven Andrew Smith we would be honored to accept donations to the "MiniRocketman Fund"

We have chosen the Rider Down Foundation as the vehicle for this fund.

Please visit their site at http://www.riderdown.org/"

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I spoke with Steve this afternoon and he asked that I post that anyone interested can donate to riderdown.org as mentioned in Pat's post above.

Steve also indicated that he and Linda were doing as well as possible considering the situation and were being showered with both love and offers of help in every imaginable way.

Additionally, he asked that I remind all present at the accident that Stevie's life was in God's hands from the moment of impact. There was literally nothing that anyone could do other than pray, which many of us at the scene did. Gene, Gary and I were among the last to arrive as we wanted to let the eager beavers have the trail to themselves.

Stevie was a true light, always full of life and laughter. We discussed bringing a bike to Dallas and leaving it in my garage as a way to get away from his studies at SMU. We had also made plans to attend the Terlingua Dual Sport Ride together next fall.

Steve Jr. was a credit to both his parents and his generation. As I mentioned above, he will ride with me always.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
sad news.

So sorry to hear the news. I lost my brother 13 years ago (he was 17 at that time) to a street bike accident (he was hit by another car).

The only thing I can offer is that it does get better with time. But if they feel like I did at the time, that's probably of little support right now. If anyone who knows them thinks that talking with someone else who's been through this would in anyway help let me know. I'd be glad to share emails or talk on the phone.

Any word on what happened for such a traumatic head injury to occur?

Thoughts and prayers with them.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family.
Godspeed, Steve.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
HajiWasAPunk said:
Any word on what happened for such a traumatic head injury to occur?

This is pure speculation as only God knows but ...

Based upon the damage to the bike and where Stevie was when we arrived, he hit the rock (about the size of a medicine ball with about 1/5 exposed above the ground) and lost control of his bike. The damage to the bike indicates that the front wheel likely landed angled right as the clutch perch and grip section of the bar are angled down at about 45 degrees. My guess is that he high sided and the bike increased both his speed and kinetic energy.

His helmet was split and he was completely out for over 25 minutes.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mar 2, 2005
MiniRocketman.....

Thank you all for you support....Please be assured that all your posts are being read and shared with our family and they really do help....I've set up the MiniRocketman Tribute fund through the Rider Down Foundation in an attempt to make some good come from this tragedy.
Your thoughts and prayers will help us through this. Your generosity will help other members of our extended motorcycle family.

Thank you all.

Steve Smith
Rocketman

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Hi Tony, so sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine how this must have felt to both family and friends.

Thanks for the link, I just sent in a donation.

Godspeed

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i was there and it does strike hard. the heart and mind reel with thoughts and emotions. the seeming cruelty and irony of an accident like this has become more clear to me. as of right now,
i think things like this make our brotherhood stronger. when i say brotherhood, i mean motorcyclist. i think the danger in our sport is part of what makes our lives fuller and better lived. i think we do a better job as a whole of not taking life for granted. while some of us are ultimately sacrificed, it only underlines the importance of living every day with a heart to what is important. as motorcyclist, we experience breathtaking highs and when there is a low it is heartwrenching. it is the nature of our passion. for all that it gives, it can take too. only those who ride can understand why we do what might cost us our lives. we know our life, whatever the duration, has been lived to the fullest in large part because of our riding. when we lose a brother, the pain and heartache is no less. the loss brings us together to reaffirm our riding family. it is always a tragedy but is one we know and accept. we continue to ride in honor of those who rode before us. we do this because it is what they would of wanted us to do. we are a unique collection of people with a common thread. our bikes and love of riding is the common denominator but comraderie and sense of family finishes the equation. it is that sense of family that will get us through this. ride on stevie and we will catch up soon enough. thats what brothers do.

Top Bottom