A Question for Eric about cylinder discoloration

Mar 28, 2006
A Question about cylinder discoloration

Hi, I am new to the Dirt Bike life (as it has taken over mine.) I love this site.

I was wondering, I bought a Jug / Cylinder for my RM on the internet.
This cylinder was in the stock bore 54mm . I took it to my local engine rebuilders as the cylinder was rusted bad....It looked really bad.
The engine rebuilders called about a week later and said they honed it to 54.5mm. They went on to say that it was badly pitted below the ports and this SHOULD be ok.(not very reassuring). I had to take a closer look I inspected the bore and it was not pitted.( not visually or to the touch) just a bunch of dark little spots maybe a 1\2cm-1cm in diameter . all located as they said below the ports where the rust was a little thicker. What does this mean? Has the structural integrity of the cylinder been compromised?

Thanks for all the great info already.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Eric's forum is strictly for posts related to his business. More general questions like this belong in the regular forums.

Mar 28, 2006
I Guess I should have put my Money where my mouth was so to speak.

I was asking Eric A general question about my particular situation I hopes of a resolution, I would have taken his expert opinion and used the services he offers accordingly.It would be no problem to re-sleeve,as I have an extra sleeve. Further more I will eventually be resleeving this jug anyhow as I bore my engines often,I wanted to make sure I was sending It to the right place. My experience with my local rebuilders are leaving something to be desired.

seems that if you start your thread with "I have money, how can I give it to you." or "I already gave you my money." you post will not be moved to one of the other forums.

I would also like to say after further thought That I would not expect Eric Gorr to (or should he be expected) to answer every question asked of him by all of the inquisitive minds out there.
I will rephrase and try again.

Top Bottom