Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
okay please help me out, if you could create a bike for yourself what would that bike be like, what kind of engine or power, seat height, color,brand,lights or no lights. and if there are any other features you would like on a bike, like and automatic clutch, electric start, what size of engine? please give me some feed back I am going into a bike buisness and need some ideas........thanks

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
I have a pretty perfect bike for my size, I'm 5' 2". I have a DMC CR80/XR120. It would really make me happy if it had the XL cam so I could run lights and make it "street legal" to run with the Dual Sport rides. I would also like an engine with a bit more power maybe a 200.

I rode Kali's TTR and it was like riding a cadillac...smoooth, (must be that scooter motor) but the back end was all over the place. I like my suspension better, but the engine vibration and the headshake is troublesome after riding the TTR and knowing how smooth the ride could be.

In the past I have spent mucho mucho dinero, trying to get a bike that would fit my height and riding ability and needs. So far the DMC comes as close as possible to fitting the bill. I just need to decide if I want to spend the bucks for the lighting setup and maybe a steering stabalizer.

Hope that helps. You might want to look at Kali's site to get more ideas.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Duneman,

My ideal bike would be 3/4 size of a "big" bike. Even at 5'3", I feel too scrunched up on the KX100 and TTR125, but yet any full size bike I need to have the seat height shortened to feel comfortable.
The ideal bike would have good suspension, and full size tires. An XR200 is about the right size, but if it could be made with real suspension and a decent motor, and about 30 pounds less, it would be just about perfect. Four stroke or two stroke, doesn't matter to me. I would want to have lights on it, or the ability to put lights on it.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
Ladies thankyou so much, I will show you some concept bikes I am working on, right now I shoe horned an ATC electric start motor into a TTR 125 frame. and also putting an ATC 160 electric start motor in to another TTR frame. I will put better suspension on them when I am finished , please tell me what you think, don't hold back. I want to start a company customising bikes for people of diff sizes, big bikes have big engines small bikes have small engines with mushy suspension. anyway thanks for the help.
.............Duneman:)

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Thanks for asking, Duneman:

(1) Agreed that the general size should be somewhere between a TTR125L and XR200. The XR200 is a good size, the TTR is better balanced.
(2) As for the seat height, think about design and padding. I find it cheap and easy to remove padding to lower my seat. If you make the seat height 34" to fit Kali, but make it easy to remove padding to lower the seat height to say 32" so I could ride it too, THAT would be great! If that doesn't work, maybe think about offering two different seats just like the Buell Blast street bike.
(3) 4-Stroke engine with a kick. If you imagine what a YZ200F might be like, that's what I'm talking about.
(4) Adult-sized tires for whoops, rocks, logs, stream crossings, ect.
(5) Real suspension. We are not weenie riders. Nuff said there.
(6) Availability of minimal light kit. I'm not talking full scale blinkers and such; just the minimal basic headlight and taillight run from a solinoid not a battery. Don't add weight, just let me get back to the truck at dusk or sneak into town for gas.
(7) I'd kick start the thing to save weight. If it gets much over 200 lbs and is too tall, I'd need a starter. I'd rather kick start it.
(8) Nice color scheme would be cool.

I've been riding street a bunch lately as well as dirt. Of the street folks, you'd be surprised how many of the women would like to get into dirt riding if something like this were available. There's a whole untapped segment of the population just waiting for this! Heck, I'm waiting for this too!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
"Prices STARTING at $13,000"? GAG, you gotta be KIDDING!!! Kali is right; Why do WE have to pay that much when the average male can get something tricked out for under $8,000???!!!

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
BBr bikes are nice but lets get real, the bikes i will build will be the same cost as a new bike, I will be using used rebuilt parts. engines will be completly rebuilt,painted and new bearings in swing arms and wheels,new tires new everything, I have been researching info to do this for 2 years and am working on a web page. thankyou all for the input please keep it coming.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Just remember, when talking about price . . . let’s say a man buys a high-end production bike. Does he just put gas in it and ride it? Not usually. By the time he dials in his suspension—many people send it off to be revalved—and then add all the bolt-ons he wants to customize his bike, he’s spent a lot of money.

Don’t get me wrong; there is a gap here. Buying a BBR or some other custom is still a lot more than most people spend. But when you consider all the money most serious riders put into their bikes to make it work for them, buying a custom isn’t that much more. And those custom bikes come with a lot more nice parts than mass-produced Japanese or European bikes do.

Personally, I love my KTM. I am tall enough to ride it at stock height so I am very lucky in that regard. Having the full-size wheels and suspension and ground clearance is worth a little bit of tip-toeing—but at 5’7" I am taller than many of the women who post here (I think) except GSR and Bbbom.

In an ideal bike that would appeal to most women, especially beginners, as well as teens and shorter men, you would find high-quality suspension, not the 15-year-old technology in the XRs, and full-size or close to full-size wheels since small wheels make the bike very hard to handle in rough stuff. Attention to ergonomics would make a huge difference—most small bikes don’t really have "ergonomics" to speak of. They bolt a seat and handlebars on and send the bike down the line. Suspension with lighter springs would be nice also—most bikes come set up for a 180 pound man and we get on and have to spend a lot of time messing around to get the suspension right. Keep in mind that MOST women (I’m on thin ice here, I know, I’m just making generalizations) are not only shorter than most men but lighter too. A SMOOTH, powerful engine, be it two-stroke or four, would be very important.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Akk. Sometimes it's frustrating being a woman dirt bike rider. Does anybody know if that TTR125L has been a successful bike financially for the manufacturer? If so, that fact is prolly our biggest ally right now.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
This is true--but you do get something a lot closer to an "ideal bike" than a production import bike. And since the YZ 150F was a false alarm that isn't going into production, the closest you can get is a BBR.

They're good bikes--but I feel kind of cramped on them. I do like riding them I'm just not very good on one. I rode the BBR 220, with the pumped up XR motor (they do have starting problems--not sure why. looking at the YZFs, maybe it's a high-performance thumper thing.) I also rode a BBR 150 with a pumped up TTR motor--definitely not as much bottom end but still fast. Depending on the rider, it'd be interesting to see how they do in a competitive MX race. The gal I know who raced the 220 did well on it but she had already bought her YZF before I met her, so I never watched her race it.

TGilliam

Mar 3, 2001
Thank you Thank you Thank you for asing that question!! The TTR-125L is on the right track, but will never be anything but a play bike unless you have mucho deniro. But, starting with that, something along the line of a TTR-125L with REAL suspension and forks. I like to RIDE. Also, a more powerful engine. I have done the 150 hop up, but even that is not enough. The E-start on the TTR sounds wonderful. I have wished for it many times. When my bike falls on the right side, it takes alot of kicking to get it started.

Starting another way, how about a KTM 200 on a smaller frame with electric start. That would really be my ideal bike.

Let us know what you come up with. It sounds REALLY exciting :p

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
thanks you people are getting me all pumped with what I am getting into,
on my web page I will start with concept bikes that you can build, everyone has diff needs when it comes to bikes I know, I want people to be able to choose what subframe they want kx,cr,yz,or rm. and I will show what engines I have and there will be many to choose from. some will be kick start some will be E start, some with lighting and some with out. and color schemes as well. it took me 3 years to get this far. having to buy machining equipment welders, and building a shop. so hang on it will be coming soon, please keep giving me feed back as you come up with new Ideas. and I promise when the bikes are finished the will be in show room condition.:)

Top Bottom