machino

Oct 22, 2003
Say hello to my new dirt bike, a 1984 Honda XR200R:
http://www.3dmm.net/upload/DBXR200R.jpg

I know very little about the mechanics of dirtbikes, or any motor vehicle for that matter. But one thing i've noticed with my bike is that it uses oil very quickly, for intance, I filled it up 3/4's of the way up and went sand riding for about 2 hours off and on. When I got home I checked the oil again and it was practically gone. My bike feels like it runs smooth, and it only smokes a bit when I'm revving it quite high. Should a bike my size be using this much oil? finally, i checked my oil again this morning and the dipstick was completly dry so i have no idea what's going on there. There is no puddle of oil under my dirtbike so you can rule out that it is leaking.

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
Only try to read the oil lever after the engine is warm. Also it sounds like the rings are worn.If it runs good other than this oil problem then i would just keep a quart of oil around, that is untill it gets really bad.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Seems like if it was burning this much oil, it would smoke like a pig! It doesn't take much oil to cause a noticeable cloud. Have you tried driving it up and down the driveway to see if you're blowing oil out somewhere when the engine is running? I agree with the ring bit, it wouldn't hurt to replace those, at least for peace of mind (although that bike, if taken care of, will probably out live you and I!). Be sure you're checking it under the same circumstances everytime, you'll get two different readings if the engine is running or if it's been sitting for a few minutes.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
When you say you filled it 3/4 of the way up, you have me a little concerned. You should only fill the case with the recommended amount of oil. That number in cc's should be stamped or cast into the side cover near the oil fill. If you overfill it, the oil will just be blown out the crank breather. I would check the oil with the bike hot and sitting level. Then ride it around for a while, stop, and leave the bike running and give it a good examination to see if it's leaking anywhere. If not, I'd ride it and just keep a close eye on it unless it is smoking wildly.

Top Bottom