trist007

Oct 3, 2007
A question about spark plugs

Obviously on two strokes, one is bound to go through spark plugs like a child goes through lollipops. However, I was talking to my uncle yesterday and says that all you need to do is clean them and then you can reuse them. He says to dip the gap end side down in gasoline to loosen the carbon that's in the plug. Then to take a bobbie pin and use the sharp edge to scrap inside the plug, under the gap and all around. Then you simply reuse it. I haven't tried it, but can you really do this? I mean I could definitely save a lot of money this way.

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
That would work on a plug that's just dirty..

But a plug that has internal damage, nope.. No amount a scraping on the electrode will help if the electrode is smoked inside of the ceramic.

bmcd308

Feb 9, 2007
If you are going through spark plugs like a child goes through lollipops, something is wrong - jetting or heat range of plug or something.

But yes, you can clean plugs. I have had good luck with the dip in gas then brush with a wire brush method, which probably does not do nearly as good of a job as what you are talking about. Some people sandblast dirty plugs, but I am afraid some sand will get in the top end by doing that.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I use break cleaner and a wire brush and a piece of sandpaper when i clean the plugs on my tractor. But my 2-stroke don't eat plugs.. so i just replace them.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Once you have jetting issues correct and you're not sucking up gear oil through a seal, a spark plug in a 2 stroke should last a long time.
However, I've cleaned plenty of them and reused them in emergencies. One time I was riding a bike jetted horribly rich and accidently got on a 14-mile one way tight Hell Trail with a lot of up and down and no way to turn around and go backwards. I went through the three plugs I had in about the first 5 miles. After that, I had to take my needle nose, spread the spark plug apart and use the serated edges of the needle nose pliers to file the plug, bend it back and go another two-three miles before doing it again. I did a lot of cursing that day.
Still, for a regular $2.50 plug, just easier and better to buy extras.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
trist007 said:
Obviously on two strokes, one is bound to go through spark plugs like a child goes through lollipops.

Not if it's running correctly. I've had plugs that worked for over a year on my YZ's, and only changed because I wanted to, not had to.

Top Bottom