A sad day for the AUSSIES...

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I was talking to a Kawasaki rep at the Sydney Motorcycle Show and to my disgust they are no longer importing new KDX's to Australia. :ohmy: I know its probably a step to phasing out the 2-stroke over here to but I just have to say 'What a major disappointment'. :bang: :(

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
There getting few and far between in the dealership latter over herr to "jackson" mi usa. my dealer has only had one in the show room in the last year.

victorb

Mar 11, 2003
I chatted with Jeff about the new 4stk's.. he said kawasaki recc.. he teardown his 250f every 15 HOURS of operation. These new 4bangers are going to be high maintenance which translates to high dollars for kaw. and if something breaks its going to be verrrrry expensive too.. . As a race engine mech ( cars ) I can tell you 10,000 rpm on a steep lobe cam as found in any of the new 250 4stks will wear the seals and guides quickly. these bikes will not be like to old xr's etc. I think the manufactures see a lot of money in the future in parts and service. Most people who can overhaul a Kdx wont have a clue about these 4stks,,it will also req. special tools as well..I think its all about money really.. just my opnion

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
kdxvictor is right!

In our harescramble community, riders are already switching back to two strokes. They simply can't afford to maintain / overhaul the WR, YZF, CRF engines. Long live the KDX.

victorb

Mar 11, 2003
I agree. But drag cars as a poor comparsion to offroad engine life. A 4 stk offroad engine MUST have some type mechanical endurance if for no other reason that it must compete with the 2stk's ( unless they are removed from the market). When it comes to high performance 2stk and the new 4 stks, the 2 stks ( incl the kdx) are way less expensive in the short and long run and still completely comptetive . Also, If you drown out a new 4stk in a creek, the heads will cool so fast they can warp, incl the valves seats. Try starting one of these new bkes thats out of adjustment...And all this was done to get a 4 stk to run like a 2stk..something we already have. I believe before long a lot of riders will be yelling for their 2 stks back.. not because they are better.. just much cheaper to maintain and just as easy to win on , not to mention cheaper to hop up as well..Check out the price of new titainum valves and seats plus labor for the head work .... it will make a believer of you

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
KAY DEE EXER: Just curious, is the 2 stroke emissions the factor in the Aussie's not importing the KDX's or is it low sales?

victorb

Mar 11, 2003
...ok.. well the highest level performing bikes /riders are
Barry Hawk,,Jason Raines,,Shane Watts,Steve Hatch, Fred Andrews, Mike Lafferty, and a host of others,, and they all ride 2 stks....( save Scott Summers) even though their respective companys all produce the new 4 stks..Food for thought tho,, it takes a 250 4 stk to equal a 125 2 stk in motocross acccording to the AMA. If they are sooo great ,, why arent the 250 4 stks used by the top riders in the 250cc motocross national classes instead of 2 stk??Simple, they dont compare in that level of performance. Dont get me wrong,
I love all the new bikes, but if manufactures are yanking 2 stks off the market and we the buying public must pay the bill , , being well informed about what we are getting into is only fair.. peeling back all the hype and looking at it rationally
ia all im trying to do.. Ride safe !

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
In the short term it should be good for the resale value of our 2-strokes, but as if we're going to sell them now! I've already begun hoarding 2-stroke bikes.

It definitely is sad (stupid) that the new range of 4-strokes are stealing the spotlight... Owners are always on about "errr, but the power is more usable"... shame your bike has to have twice the displacement (not to mention silly parts like a cam, chain and a head with valve holes in it) to be competitive and sounds like a hippo farting rather than a lean, mean, rabid two stroke on the pipe.

What do we do, apart from not buy the new bikes, to send our message to the Japanese businessmen? Anybody with friends in the Yakuza?

Just my AUD$0.02.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Weren't you guys clued in by the fact that they have made NO major changes to the KDX in almost 10 years?... I think this tales end was decided a LONG time ago...

I love my KDX but it will not be in production much longer, and if it is, it will be by the simple fact that they are tooled up for it and it costs so little to produce, because there will be no more advancements on it's design... The KDX is now what it will remain (aftermarket accesories aside).. It has reached it's pinacle...

The GOOD news is, that you can now claim your loyalty to 2 strokes and the KDX as the reason you don't have the "latest, greatest" bike... (it stands to save you THOUSANDS per year!!!)... and then, 10 years from now, you can claim that the reason you're not competitive is because of your 10 year old bike... lol... that, and you can build a sweet KDX now (on anything post 95), and it will be a State of the Art KDX from now untill eternity....

as for the issue with 125 2-stroke vs 250 4-stroke... they simply cannot compete head to head, cc to cc, by design... should they not be allowed to compete? perhaps a seperate class?(but that would mean the spotlight would be ONLY on 4-strokes now... or considerably longer events to accomodate 3 new classes 250, 450, and Open class 4-strokes).... I think they made the right decision.. (especially since environmental laws are going to eliminate the 2-stroke class soon anyways).. :yikes:

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004

Those bast*rds!!!! :| :moon: Too bad..... I hope getting rid of 2 strokes is not going to happen. Good luck

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
It is possible to make two strokes run clean. The Bimota Vdue 500c race rep road bike that came and died a few years ago met califrornia emssions regs. I think the euros will keep producing 2 strokes for a while but the writing is on the wall for the jap bikes. I guess it must be a political thing, 2 strokes do have a reputation for being polluters even though a badly tuned 4 stroke is just as bad.
My guess is that KDXes will keep being made until they have to spend money on new tooling. Damn shame, I just hope we get enough notice so that we can trade the trusty old '99 on a new one while they are available.

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
A well tuned 2-stroke will emit almost the same amount of co's as a 4-stroke and looking at the ratio of 4 stroke engines being used compared to 2-stroke, the whole emission debate is a non issue. There is no way that a 250 4-stroke (standard) motor will kick a 200 2-stroke (standard) motors butt, it wouldn't keep up.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Is anybody here good at sand casting cylinder blocks? If we could form a renegade 2-stroke manufacturing operation (and stockpile heaps of oil) we could form an evil plan for independance from Jap businessmen, err, motorcycle manufacturers.

I would like to get some bumper stickers made up:

"F#$K THE WHALES. SAVE THE 2-STROKES!"

If governments were really keen on cleaning up emissions into the atmosphere there are plenty of other trees they could bark up. But politicians are keeping lots of (other) people happy by forcing our beloved engines out of existance - they're keeping the misinformed populace happy by pretending that they're taking an active role (KDX = scapegoat), plus they're keeping the economy going by not forcing other industry to adhere to stricter emission regulations (refer to George Dubya B. pulling outta the Kyoto protocol).

The Japanese man just builds more of what international governments will allow to be complianced, then puts some fancy ads of some dude riding a YZ250f around lots of half-nekkid chicks on the tellie.

Makes me sick.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I'm going to get some of them stickers made up and when they're done Ill PM you for your address and Ill post ya some... Great idea.... :thumb:

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
Oi KAY DEE EXER,

count me in for some stickers.

long live the 2 stroke!

no one's gonna take my Victa away godammit!

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Looking forward to the stickers!! Might even be interested in subsidising $$ for making some of them...

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
They started with outboard boat motors....now 4-stroke, then the wave runners.....now 4-stroke, now lawn mowers and grass trimmers....all turning to 4-stroke! Don't ever sell your 2-stroke or you'll be kicking yourself (or a 4-stroke) later!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
$$$$ Wise it shouldnt be a prob. I have a mate at a printing place. Ill get him to run of some in his lunch hour. I doubt he'll charge me more than a few beers, So its all good. Gimme a few weeks to get em organised. Ill post my email address when they are ready and I will be willing to post em out to anyone in Oz for free. Just call it my contribution to saving the "Toxic fume blowing, obnoxiously deafening, wildlife scareing, bush destroying 2-STROKE... :moon:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Just a preview

If you have any ideas let me know. I spoke to my mate today and he's looking into it for me. If you have any ideas you have made send them to trevorsilk at optushome dot com dot au. Cheers

Attachments

• STICKERsmall.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 62
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…