? about gearing & pipe and silencer

Danny Stein

Nov 12, 2002
Hello to the all the KDX god's out there!!!!

Well I gotta basic question to ask and would like some advice. I am currently running a 2002 KDX 200 with a 13/50 gearing with a 110 link o-ring chain. My question is that I am about to go ahead and order a Pro-Circuit pipe and silencer. With that in mind my 1st question is should I go back to the stock gearing(13/47) or stay with the 13/50 setup? I really love the way the 13/50 set-up is, it fly's through the woods. Question #2 ( this is the last one; I swear) If I remove the air box snorkel will I have to do some major rejetting? I ride pretty close to sea level in Maryland and ride all types of terrain from close woods trails to wide open flats just depend on the conditions and where I ride that particular ride. The avg temp nowadays are about 60-80 farenheight slight humidity. The reason I'm asking this is I have never jetted a two stroke before and are wondering how intensive it is. I have read the threads about jetting and do understand them just don't want to seize the motor. Thanks again for all the help and advice. Sorry about the novel!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Danny Stein
...should I go back to the stock gearing(13/47) or stay with the 13/50 setup?

Yes - if you like it stay with the 13/50 gearing.

Originally posted by Danny Stein
Question #2 ( this is the last one; I swear) If I remove the air box snorkel will I have to do some major rejetting?... The reason I'm asking this is I have never jetted a two stroke before and are wondering how intensive it is. I have read the threads about jetting and do understand them just don't want to seize the motor. Thanks again for all the help and advice. Sorry about the novel!

You will not have to do any re-jetting if you have never done any in the first place.  You will have to adjust your jetting if you want the bike to run at its' best performance.  You state that you've read the threads and understnd them - well then - get out there and do it.  Do it correctly without taking HUGE steps and you will not seize your motor as long as there are not other things wrong.

Let us know how things turn out. 

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Check the "03 KDX Exhaust Leak" which is on the first page now. I put a step by step guide for a "first jetting" change that should be safe for a start. It cost less than $10 and takes less than 15 minutes. Be sure to check your jetting after the change by reading Canadian Dave's "carb tuning" material. I would remove the air filter cover or cut out about 80% of it before jetting. Also, I've never had good luck with the needle position on the lowest or next to lowest (richest) position and I've heard several others say that also. After re-jetting, to be safe you might want to start on the middle clip (where it should have been from the factory).

Have fun and let us know how it goes-
JCW

Top Bottom