nick5446

Apr 19, 2007
I'm planning on buying a '91 YZ250 this weekend. Is there anything that stands out about this bike that I should look for? Any weird quirks that come up?

Here's a summary of the description: Totally rebuilt 3 years ago from the top down. sleeved and ported to a factory yamaha race cylinder. all bearings and seals were replaced suspension done, all frame bearings were replaced, new plastics, new tires, new everything. also has skid plate and barkbusters. Was ridden maybe 6 times then stored.

The guy wants $1000, at what price would it be a good (great) deal? I don't plan on keeping it forever, probably <1year, I just want to get comfortable riding again, then I'll get something bigger/road worthy

thanks for the input

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I think hes in the US its $1000 American.

I would say that isn't a bad deal. Your not getting a steal, but if it runs correctly, shifts correctly, etc. I would say go for it. Give the bike a good once over, start it up and let it warm up while your looking at it. Take a nice slow ride and test all the gears. Make sure the clutch engages smoothly. Listen for weird noises at any RPM.
Offer him like $875 and see what he says. If he says no, then off $925.

nick5446

Apr 19, 2007
thanks guys

they way he talked about it, i feel like he'll let it go pretty cheap, so i think i'm gonna start him around $750 and go from there....if i can get it for $850 i'll be happy

and yeah...that's $1000 american

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
I've got a simaler question:
I found a '93 YZ250 for sale in town for $1900(Cdn). The bike looks to be in good shape, and runs well. However the owner can't give me any background on the bikes maintenace history. He bought it for his wife, she didn't like it(too big) so he's rolling it over, and hasn't done anything since hes owned it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
$1900 seems a bit high for that, if it's good and you can get it for about $1500 I might pull the trigger if it was a bike I was after. At $1900 you could likely find a bike 5 years or more newer for less than few hundred more.

Hawk45

Feb 21, 2003
Found a 91 and 95 YZ250 here in the states ... both were asking $1K US... but got them down to $850... but decided to go with a pristine 98 CR250 for little more $$.

Top Bottom