About to buy used 2000 kdx 220r...any final words of advice?

terrbltwo

Feb 21, 2004
I'm new to this forum and about to purchase my first kdx. I have had other off road motorcycles, but now am looking for a good woods bike. The one I am looking at is not perfect by any means, but seems to be in decent condition. It has an FMF pipe and silencer, and pretty much stock otherwise. The owner is asking $2500 but I think I can offer $2200 and he may take it. The local dealer has a new 2003 220 and 220, for $3499.00 and $3899.00. Should I buy the used or just fork out the extra 2 grand and get the new one? I usually have a good feel about buying used bikes, but this time I cannot decide what to do. Any last minute advice? Thanks, James

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
If you have $4k, buy the used one and take the other $2K and hop it up...guaranteed to blister the new one for even money.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
A 2002 should be in pretty good shape. IF you do buy the new one, you're going to have to spend quite a bit to make it rideable. Stock motor is pretty soft so a pipe is almost a must. The stock suspension is not only terrible, it's downright dangerous as a number of riders on here can attest to. You should replace the front springs before even riding it - unless you're doing trials type really nasty stuff in 1st & 2nd gear. That -- is what the suspension was designed for and does it extremely well. IF you ever decide to go fast though, that front end will put you on the ground right now.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'd replace the top end on that used one right away too. $130. Check the suspension bearings for slop just in case it was not serviced properly. Those bearing are expensive. Give it some love and it'll be a good bike but expect to put $1000 in the used one.

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Used KDX advice

You should arrange to meet somewhere and ride it for a while (at least until it is hot enough to see how it really runs) and make sure you go through all the gears (to rule out any shifting problems). Other than that, check it over like you are preping your bike for a 100 mile enduro. Make sure you check the frame for damage and prop the bike on a stand to check all the bearings for slop as well as sight down the wheels (with them lined up as though it was headed in a straight line) to detect a bent frame. Check the spokes and rims while it is up. Pop the seat and see the condition of the air filter and airbox (if the filter is ragged and the box really dirty, it suffers from neglect). Lay it on its side and inspect the underside for damage and teletale signs of neglect. If it checks out, buy it and modify the heck out of it-you won't regret it. They are excellent bikes. I have had a 91 and now a 98 model. I expect to order one of the last production years (2006) to replace my 98.

Top Bottom