Absolutely the BEST Tire Change Article

Smokin Joe

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2000
I just got my latest Trail Rider mag and in it they have an article written by Suzy Moody that is the best tire changing method that I've ever seen! I finally now know how to get that durn valve stem in without trying to squeeze my fingers in between the rim and tire with the tire half on and in the process tryng to create extra joints in my fingers :scream:

Suzy breaks down her method in such a step by step method, fully explaining how and why everything is done in sequence that pictures weren't even necessary. :) However, Suzy's not so bad on the eyes, especially in the short skirt and high heels! :p I think Trail Rider now has a new pinup girl! Just joking, but she's a lot more interesting than the plastic eye candy ya see in the other rags! :D

Anyways, this article proves to me that Trail Rider is the best magazine for Enduro / Harescramble / Hard Core Trail Riding enthusiasts! :aj:

Joe

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
I couldn't get that mag over here even if I wanted to so is there any chance you could enlighten us about getting the valve stem in, it kills me every time, especially on the YZ where the hole in the rim is TINY!

Thanks,
Philip

Smokin Joe

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2000
Phillip,

I'll see if I can scan it and then email it to you.

Basically, she puts the tube into the tire before remounting, slightly inflated unless it is a heavy duty tube then no air. Then she pulls the tube out of the tire by grabing the valve stem so that it is protruding. Then with the rim up off the ground on a changing stand (I suppose a trash can would do also) she holds the tire horizontal with the valve stem at the 12 o'clock position and angles it onto the rim while simultaneaously getting the protruding valve stem into the rim hole. Then she grabs the valve stem nut out of her mouth (forgot to say ya gotta put there first (unless ya got 3 hands ;) ) and get it started before the valve stem slips out. Then she manouvers the tire bead to get it over the rim lock (she states that you need the rim lock and valve stem holes right next to each other for this method to work, so you may need to drill anouther hole in your rim and fill the old one with some type of silicone seal or whatever).

Sounds too simple to be true. :debil:

Joe

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive seen this method used and it looked easy but i couldnt do it that way-it seemed to take alot of strength but i guess that was because i was doing it wrong;(

Smokin Joe

Sponsoring Member
Apr 21, 2000
Wolf,

Check and see if any of your local bike shops sell Tail Rider mag; if not try and get them to. Plus, do yourself a favor and suscribe to Trail Rider HERE . It is only $20 a year for 12 issues, definitely well worth.

Marcus,

I'm sure some strength is necessary but I'll bet using the right finesse is the key, after all, these girls were doing sub 5 minute changes after a full day of riding!!! :p

Joe

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
I also read the article it was great! How can we get Trail Rider to do some SERA events???I kniw Suzy rides in alot of them but there are never any articles written about us down South riders!

HGilliam

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Take some pictures, write it up and send it in. That's how the SETRA articles get coverage. Same goes for Cycle News.

Toolman
Ex Cycle News Asst Editor!

Top Bottom