AC separation (3rd degree) long term re-injuries?

Ken71

Sep 18, 2006
I'm 3 weeks into a 3rd degree AC separation (all 3 ligaments are completely separated. My ortho has me wearing a "Kenny Howard" brace for 6 weeks and then rehab. I've shown improvement, so I'll hopefully avoid surgery.

My questions are;
Is it much easier to re-injur the shoulder or just a little more sensitive?
How much of a hit can it take now that the ligaments are detached?
If it gets re-injured, is there more damage, or is it pretty much the same problem and treatment?
Has anyone used the EVS shoulder brace and did it help?

Thanks for the help.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Ken71 - How did your shoulder injury heal? What was the recovery time before it was 100% (or close to it)? Any re-injury?

I suffered a class II-III last weekend, and am looking for what to expect.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
My friend recently had a class III tear. He was told 6 weeks and he should be pretty much back to normal. Another local did the same thing and had some surgery done to fix it and was playing volleyball 2 weeks later. From what I've heard the surgery is very new and not many are qualified to do it so it might be hard to find a surgeon to operate on you.

I hope your feeling better SD. :)

G FORCE

Jul 30, 2007
I seperated my shoulder in high school playing basketball. It probably would have healed in 2 months or so, but if *felt* better so I would slowly start lifting light again and working out. If I was not absolutely perfect with my form and careful, I would aggrivate it again and be set back another couple weeks. It honestly took a good year for it to heal back to the point where I don't worry about it anymore.

So, take as much time as you can to let it heal initially and be careful with your activities/movements soon after.

Top Bottom