BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
This is the very same problem I am facing. I first heard of this at a Suzuki dealer in Waco TX, but have not been able to confirm this until now. This trick JR50 has its second gear activated, so it 'must' be there ?! - Anyone else I ask gets a glazed look in their eyes. Either it is the best kept secret ever, or is total BS :think

klx352

Aug 12, 2000
ITS first

Its second gear that your in now . first gear is blocked off.
about 45 min and a die grinder you will be flying

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
BunduBasher- Send me a PM with your fax number and I will send you some info about how to do it.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks for the info guys, at least now I know there is more to this than just a story.

So how do the gears work? Neutral, two one , or one up, one down, with neutral in the middle ?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by BunduBasher
one up, one down, with neutral in the middle ?

That's it.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Thanks Vic for the instructions.

From what I can see it is a fairly simple procedure. Remove the right side cover, and you will see the part when you wiggle the gear lever, you will see the bump that needs to be ground down. I will give it a bash and see what happens ! :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
You're welcome. Good luck.:)

jly51

Mar 5, 2001
1`st gear

I did this mod about 24 years ago,my son is now 29 years old. AT the time he was to young to get much use out off the use of the extra gear,but if your youngster is agressive it`s most likley worth a try.Its been so long that i have forgotten how it`s donebut don`t think there was much to it and it`s free so might as well go for it.I think that suzuki blocked off low gear because most of the intended riders were to young to use both gears properly.

RKT

Jul 3, 2001
So, is this "other" gear a lower ratio gear or a higher ratio gear?

It seems to me that you would only be able to use one gear or the other, in other words, you could not kick iti n 1st gear and then shift up to 2nd?
Is this the way you understand it?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by RKT
So, is this "other" gear a lower ratio gear or a higher ratio gear?

It seems to me that you would only be able to use one gear or the other, in other words, you could not kick iti n 1st gear and then shift up to 2nd?
Is this the way you understand it?

It's a lower gear. You can shift between the gears while running, but it's a long throw.

RKT

Jul 3, 2001
Has anybody had any luck finding stiffer engagement springs so that the engagement rpm can be raised higher?

If so, where did you find them?

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
a chain saw file works best you have to take the side cover off
and shift to get the big pitcher (right side) i also asked the same ?
a couple years ago no one new so i took it apart and it was easy to
see what to do

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I never did get around to doing the mod, never even touched the restrictor plate - got Jon a new JR80 :)

The instructions Vic sent me were very straight forward.

Got to remember that it is one up, and one down - kick it up to put into first, and a long hard kick down to get it into second.

One thing that my son found was frustrating, is that he would be flying along, go over some rough stuff, through a ditch and would bump the bike from 2nd into neutral - not too much of a problem, he got used to the idea of kicking it back down to re-engage.

Would be nice if this little bike came with 3 gears, 1 down and 2 up !

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
on all of them ! - same engine just BNG for the newer ones !

Skitspuce

May 21, 2003
Would someone mind sending me a how-to on this? Its "skitspuce@cox.net"
Thanks, it'd make my kids day.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

80dad

Dec 7, 2002
i did this mod to my boys jr the new gear is first and is really to low to be used for much it revs thru it real quick and the throw to shift back to second is very long the worst thing about it is it is very easy to now knock it into neutral when traveling rough ground at speed if i had my choice now i wouldnt have done it
good luck

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
after you do the gear mod you can change sprockets to a taller gearing. One up on the front gear helps. Then you have a taller 1st and a taller 2nd overall. With stock gearing the top end is lower than the pw50.
But if your starting to try and mod the jr its probably time to get a better bike. You can find used 2000 Cobra CM's for around $1000 and they have better suspension and more power.

Top Bottom