mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
anyone out there who has switched to stiffer front springs and then added the gold valves later. i am wondering if i will really "need" the gold valves after i put the stiffer springs in.

i'm 200lbs and bought the stiffer .42 springs to stop the bottoming on the MX track. i'm happy enough with the suspension other than that.

if anyone has ever done this in stages i would appreciate some advice.

it's a '95 kdx 200. bone stock at this point.

thanks,
dirty dave

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I did it that way. I'm nearly 200 with gear. I put .43 springs from memory and noticed little difference. I was thinking the stock au springs may be heavier than the stock US ones. I added the gv's shortly after and noticed a significant improvement. Not so much over bumps but while cornering.. A worthwhile mod on a kdx.

flyinfish

Apr 27, 2001
Unfortunately I switched both at the same time so I can't help you there. I am very pleased with the results. It still could be better though. I went with Race Tech's recomendations on the valve stack. After talking to a couple guys on this forum, like Dirt Bike Dave, I'm convinced that it could still be better, however! I still don't have the plushness of my friends newer scoots. But my front end doesn't chatter in the corners like it used to - it sticks a lot better. Just to let you know I'm talking about a '91 KDX 250 a completely different bike than yours but I think it still applies. Good luck

Fish

KruncH

~SPONSOR~
Jun 15, 1999
One man's need is another man's want. Do you really "need" it?, who can answer that?

I upgraded springs first, rode it that way for about a year, than upgrade to the GV's. Depending on how I valved, I could tell an improvement over stock. Better / smoother bottoming compared to OEM. Riding MX, I would think you would want them foresure.

Hope this helps.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Here's what I did

I had a set of 21# springs from an '88 kx 125 from ATK I threw in. I kept the spring and spacer height the same as stock, raised the oil height to 100mm, I liked it, but then I thought......
Got the race Tech valving, followed the instructions to the "T" and kept adjusting it to where I think it works as good as the old forks are gonna.
I think it depends on your riding, where and how. I race Hare Scrambles and Enduro's and hate to get passed cuz the machine isn't making it!
It's well worth the $$ if you want to be competive
That's just my 2 cents ;)

Top Bottom