Adding Grease zercs to YZ rear suspension

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I have a 1997 YZ 250 , I recently bought. I have regreased the rear suspension, I am gonna add grease Zercs to the relay arm, connecting rod, and to the rear swing arm. I was woundering if anyone has already doen this and has any helpfull advice for such a mod. I have done stuff like this befor, A 1968 MGB rack and pinion steering , some heavey equipment. The goal with the bike is make maintence clean up of this bike as easy as possable.
Lok

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
Im not quite sure that would work. Remember that the bearings ride in sleeves that are in the swing arm, in order to get the grease in the bearings you would have to make a passage through the sleeve by drilling or cutting metal. Thats how all my bikes have been, maybe your yz250 is different, buy my girlfriends yz85 and my kx250 have sleeves that the needle bearings ride in. I would not recomend doing so, I think it may make the sleeve weak and prone to cracking or breaking. I thought about it when I tore our bikes to grease things because I know its allot of work, after I looked at things for a while I decided not to. There is allot of preassure riding on those sleeves when you land from a jump. Its your bike and this is just my opinion, Im sure it can and has been done. I just recomend you not do it.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Yea I saw that, I was thinking of modding the bearing case. There may accually be a mod'ed bearing case out there for anouther application, one that has a groove arround it and three small holes in that groove. I also thought of looking into the what some dune riders are doing. I know some of thier swing arms and shock mounts have grease fittings already in them. Just an idea at this moment, but as of now I am leaning the same way as you, Just leaving it all stock.
Thanks , if you think of a way to do this mod , just drop it in here.
Lok

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have the same bike, a 97 yz 250. I would not add the zerk fittings. There is not a lot of extra material to work with in any of the joints. The other reason is this. The grease does not really wear out in these pivots. The pivots get dirty and water gets in them. The only way to ge tthem clean is to take them apart. I believe the zerks wouldl give a false sence of security. Take them apart every 6 months or so. Its much easier after the first time.

MX Junkie

Jan 3, 2006
I know Kawasaki had them on their older bikes and it cauesd problems. They were installed at the end of the linkage bolts ( hollow shafts with grease holes at the bearings), they were recalled due to snapping in two. :bang:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I owned one of the older kawasaki KDX's that had these zercs. I should have mentioned it, bu tyes many of them did snap.

I also took one apart after "Greasong" it and was very surprised to see just what apoor job the zerc's did.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Yea I am goanna say its a no go up grade. Its a nice thought , but it seems with all these problems it would not be worth it, and could be down right dangerous.
Thanks for all the input guys.

Top Bottom