Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Ok guys I have a good ? for you all.

I may want to add lights to my 1997 YZ250. If I add a 45watt stator and a regulator, and of course a front light, is this all I need? Is there any thing I am missing, This is all incase me and a few guys do a 24 hour race this summer. I think the new stator is like 200$ and the reg is like 50$ and the lighted front number is 80$.
Thanks for any input
Lok

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
That's the long and the short of it, you have to add a lighting coil (either as a bolt on coil or on a stator plate that has it mounted already), a voltage regualtor so your bulbs don't blow plus the light itself.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
Thanks for the info.

Ok I was missing the lighting Coil in my idea, also would my original stator be able to handle a head light or is that gonna kill my spark.?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Your original stator has no lighting coil, and you cannot tap into your generator coil to provide lights.

You have to add a bolt on coil, or get another stator that has this coil. This lighting coil provides the power for your headlight. You have to regulate it to 12 volts so your light bulbs don't blow out, hence the voltage regulator.

Some bikes, you can buy a coil and bolt it onto your stock stator, others you have to buy another stator that has the lighting coil already on it. Either way, you have to add the lighting coil. The outputs from it are wired to the voltage regulator that shunts the excess power to ground. The outputs from the regulator are then wired to the headlight, to provide a regulated 12 V supply to the headlight.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I am gonna start looking for the parts. I will be documenting this if I go ahead with this mod.
Thanks TimberPig for all the Info.
Lok

Top Bottom