Adjust gearing or stick with it?

Evan B

Apr 10, 2010
I'm new to the dirt and new to 2 strokes. Last month I bought a 2003 YZ250 and so far it's been all trail riding in the forest. The motor is very different than what I'm used to from my DRZ400sm and SV650. I've been having the most trouble with the low speed first gear hill climbs where the motor is bogging down.

Should drop a tooth on the front sprocket or add a couple in the back or just leave it alone and work on my riding skills?

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Matt90GT said:
learn to ride better. Use the clutch - its a 2 stroke.

What he said. That's why motocross has lost my interest some. Used to be a rider had to have good throttle and clutch control to be on top, now you just have to buy a 4 stroke. If you can master that 2 stroke you'll be a better rider for it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Seriously? Just forget about smoking your clutch. Swap out the sprocket, you will love the results.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I agree with Rooster. And if you want even better lugability, throw a flywheel weight on there. It's almost a must for a yz250 in the woods.

Evan B

Apr 10, 2010
julien_d said:
I agree with Rooster. And if you want even better lugability, throw a flywheel weight on there. It's almost a must for a yz250 in the woods.

Do you have any more info on the flywheel weight? Where can I get one and how do they install?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You can get one from most any off-road supplier. From what I hear (never tried one) they are easy enough to install.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
1st gear hill climbs and it's bogging down? That doesn't sound right to me. I usually never get in 1st gear on the trails on my 05 YZ, hills or not (or on my old 01 YZ 250). And I weight 250lbs.

Flywheel weights have never made any difference for me.

FNG

May 2, 2008
I like my flywheel weight. No noticeable changes on the track and much better in the woods. Less prone to stalling, smoother power delivery and I can lug it if I need to.

I left my gearing and I think you should too. Work on your riding. Go a little faster than you are comfortable with and the bike will work much better. My brother-in-law had the same issue you are asking about and once he got more used to his bike, '01 KX 250, and went a little faster, things went better for him in the woods.

Steahly (sp) is the flywheel weight to get. It basically replaces your flywheel bolt. Easy to install.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
A YZ250 bogging down in 1st gear! Somethings up. Unless that thing is geared for top speed and you are riding it like a 4 stroke 1st gear shouldn't be a problem. Check what gearing it has and what is standard. You may want to gear it down for the woods a bit, but remember its a race bike, it likes to rev. It's no DRZ400 or SV650 so you may just need to learn to rev that baby. Also give it a compression test and see if the motor is up to spec, as it sounds like it might be tired.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Well, if he is experiencing anything like what I have, tight/twisty/steep hills can leave you wanting more. Especially if you have no option but to go into the hill with little or no speed. I just went up two teeth on the rear and was happy with it.

And I have a bad habit of four-stroking on my YZ :think:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom