dezzy13

Feb 15, 2006
I'm thinking of adjusting my bike's idle and I'm looking for opinions on whether I should bother with it or not. It's a '01 CR250R and when I bought it from the previous owner, he had the idle set to his preference. The thing is, when the bike is running, you have to hold the throttle open just a tiny bit for it to stay running. If you take your hand off the grip and the throttle snaps shut, the engine immediately dies. Then I have to kick start it again; the whole nine. It's normally not a problem but sometimes when I just want to take my hand off the grip for a couple of seconds to do something like adjust my goggles before riding off again, it sucks to have the engine die. Also, I'm a relatively new rider and haven't yet started to jump at the track, but it concerns me with my bike dying so quickly without any gas being applied. Is is going to die when I go over a jump??? I'm not looking for the engine to maintain a continuous idle, but if it could idle for maybe 4 seconds or so before dying, that would be great. Any advice??? :cool: Thanks in advance!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Adjust it. You should be able to have the bike idle just fine. There are varying opinions on here about it, but every one of my two strokes I've ever owned has been able to idle for minutes (if not much more) at a time without any problem.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
u can adjust the idle screw to the point where the bike just about imdiately dies then u can fine tune it with the air screw to let it idle for a cupple seonds before it dies. Or you could do it the old school way, rev the hell out of it and adjust your goggles quickyle before the rpms drop to zero.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It will be a lot easier to ride if you set it to idle for atleast a few seconds, it will also give better throttle response. If you set it too high, the bike will buck a little bit during deceleration, some people don't mind but I do. I have mine set for a couple of seconds.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
On my cr125, the air screw and idle screw are two completely differnet screws. From what i have gathered that if you undo the airscrew out too much, you will end up leaning you bike.

dezzy13

Feb 15, 2006
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm going to try and adjust it tonight after work.

There's a threaded bolt on the carb that has a phillips end but has a nut that holds it in place. I was told to loosen the nut first then, with a phillips screwdriver, loosen/adjust the bolt. This would adjust the idle. Once I found an idle I liked, I would then tighten the nut down against the carb to hold the bolt in that position. Does this sound about right?
Boy do I need a service manual!!!!!hahaha:)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Yes. That's right. The screw you describe actually is a throttle stop and as the screw is turned in, holds the slide up a bit higher to raise the idle.

Top Bottom