2 stroke or 4 stroke???

• 2 stroke

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • 4 stroke

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Jan 6, 2009
advice??

ok guys i came from a quad background. and im new 2 the dirtbike scene.

i currently have a YFZ 450 which i use for riding with my cuzins trail riding and sometimes mudding(TLR-450):boss: and the track . :boss: (im not a total nube!! LOL)

im 5'8 170lb. athletic
i want the bike for MX and trail riding. maybe mudding like once in a while
i am pritty agressive(i can prity much hold my own against the dirtbikes (considering i have a WAYYYY heavyer bike)) ;) .
as for mechanics i dont mind getting my hands dirty but when it gets to technical id rather not mess with it.
i have yamaha, suzuki, kawi, honda, KTM dealers near me. i plan on going used though.
i have like $1500
im 19

which would be better a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?
and what bikes do u guys think would fit me?

Last edited:

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Well, I don't know what the dirt bike market is like in Florida, but $1,500 here in Michigan will not get you a decent 4 stroke but it might get you a 2000 model year 250 2 stroke. And based on your experience I'm betting that that's what you should be looking at.

From there, just try to find the cleanest one that you can find. Mostly because buying used tends to equalize all of the bikes and it will even make a "bike of the year" a dog if it was owned by someone that doesn't like to do maintenance.

So pick a color and find the best 250 2 stroke that you can for what you are willing to spend.

Jan 6, 2009
how are 2 stroke dirt bikes on reliability???
im used 2 2stroke quads which are unreliable as hell!!! aka Banshee (i ride a 4 stroke YFZ 450)

i dont want 2 end u in a predicament with a bike thats always going 2 be breaking down.

if they do blow how much are rebuilds?
and are they pritty simple 2 do?

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
Two strokes are waaaay easyer to rebuild and a lot lot cheaper and they are also a lot more reliable then the new fourstrokes. many people think that twostrokes are unreliable but they really are'nt
in order to get 4 strokes to compete with 2 strokes they have pushed engines to the absolute max and this causes them to need rebuilds every 20 hours, and if you dont rebuild them they will blow up and cost you $1.500.

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
Banshee has to be the most unreliable 2stroke made in the past 20 years. Look at the honda trx250r the pretty solid (I threw up alittle in my mouth when I just typed that), and I hate honda. I ride a ltr450, but on a bike I ride a 2000 yz250 so I vote for the two stroke. BRAAAAPPPP!

Jan 6, 2009
motoracer im with u on the honda thing LOL honda quads FAIL!!! LOL
how much is it to rebuild the top end of the 2strokes?
i know the 4stroke rebuild is REDICULOUSLY expensive

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
A 2 stroke dirt bike should be very reliable. Just plan on installing a new piston once a year, if you ride hard or a lot, and that's it.

And a new piston and ring for most 250 2 strokes will run about $100 in parts. Plus, a top end on a 2 stroke is very easy to do. If I'm in a hurry and the bike is clean, I could do a 2 stroke top end in a half hour.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
motoracer im with u on the honda thing LOL honda quads FAIL!!
And who exactly cares about quads? Cousin Goober? Camaro-Cut Karl? Uncle Billy-Bob?

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
Keep hating brother. Thats what the greens want us to do. Its easier for them to defeat offroaders if we dont stand together. I also have jeeps and dunebuggys. You gonna hate on that also? Theres a group of quad racers out there that can jump and like the mx track. Are you sure you are from Texas? I quess everywhere has inbreads :pissed:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Motoracer13 said:
Keep hating brother.

No worries there. Hatred of mouth breathers and quad riders is a given.:cool:

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
Look what I am saying is, SO WHAT!? I know this ain't worth fighting about since most quad riders feel the same about bikes. I like to think this is a good enough internet forum that if I had a question, even if it was about a fourwheeler, that I could post that question here and get a good response from someone with more experience than me.
I also know that the Jeep crowd hates bikes and fourwheelers :ohmy: I also know that we as offroaders would have a better chance standing together than bickering back and forth. It gets old.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Motoracer13 said:
I like to think this is a good enough internet forum that if I had a question, even if it was about a fourwheeler, that I could post that question here and get a good response from someone with more experience than me.

As a general practice we direct quad riders to www.atv.com or one of the other quad specific sites. It helps keep the quad talk and the inane "my Banshee is better/faster/cooler than your TRX" nonsense to a minimum.

If you like quads, great, have at it. BUT, given how much damage quads (and dimwitted quad riders) have done to tracks, trails and the general perception the public has about dirt riders don't expect guys on a dirtbike specific site to line up to feel sorry for you.

Motoracer13

Dec 31, 2006
I dont want anyone to feel sorry for me, where you got that idea I dont know. And yes I am a member on other fourwheeler boards. Now re-read his orginal question. He was giving back ground info and with him having fourwheeler experince was looking for a bike. As far a track damage, I agree. The average quad rider tears the crap out of tracks, Finger Lakes in Columbia MO is perfect example of that. Im just suprised that an administaror of this site would chime in with such a negative comment when the guy was asking about reliablity of a 2stroke. I just put it an example he might be able to relate to. What happened to the saying "If you dont have nothing nice to say..."?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Motoracer13 said:
Im just suprised that an administaror of this site would chime in with such a negative comment ...

He saw it turning into a "quad" thread and he put the clamps on it. As a bonus, dirt bike guys on the board got a quick laugh out of it.

Sounds like a WIN/WIN to me.

The point that can be taken away from this might be, if someone asks a dirt bike question they'll have lots of people lining up to help. When a thread turns into a "quad fest" it might be wise to duck and cover. ;)

Jan 6, 2009
boys i had no intension of trying 2 make the tread a quad thread!!!
my question was strictly DIRTBIKE RELATED!!
i know that dirtbikes and quads are 2 COMPLETLY different subjects and when i need held with my YFZ i go 2 my quad forums 4 advice.

i just want help trying 2 figure out which dirtbike is best for me
i figured instead of dumping a grand on suspension(which id never see that money again) i could buy a dirtbike and have more fun @ the track :boss:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Banshee_Killer said:
boys i had no intension of trying 2 make the tread a quad thread!!!
my question was strictly DIRTBIKE RELATED!!

No worries, your post was fine. You didn't take it down the quad path.:cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
With only $1500 to spend you are pretty much in take what ever decent bike can get territory. You should probably look for something that has been maintained in your price range and not worry too much about the rest.

Jan 6, 2009
there actually some 03-04 (kawi, suzuki, yamaha)bikes down here that look pritty good for 2k down here.

how is the maintnance on these 2strokes?
how often and how much $?
will i really need a rebuild once a year?

Jan 6, 2009
2 stroke Questions!!

boys im seriously considering an 03-04 250 2stroke and was wondering how maintnance is on the bikes?

how is the maintnance on these 2strokes?
how often and how much $ will i spend?
will i really need a rebuild once a year(thats what i herd)?

Last edited:

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
Maint. isn't really that bad at all. I can't really give you prices as I just got back into the sport after a few years away and haven't had to do a rebuild yet. How often depends on how hard and how often you ride. I'm sure some other guys can chime in and give you some more help.

Jan 6, 2009
i ride a YFZ 450 quad now and i ride it agressive but not often.maybe once or 2wice a month for a few hours. i herd rebuild was about $100 in parts.
i meant in the neighborhood of oil changing etc. its the same as a quad right.
every 20 hours or so?

Jan 6, 2009
ok so i looked up a poston kit is between $100-130. i also need a new top end gasket as well correct?

Top Bottom