MGW

Oct 22, 2007
Hey all, I'm thinking about buying a bike over the winter and am trying to narrow it down to a couple in case I come across a steal (not literally) :) .

I used to ride with one of my buddies when I was younger, he had two bikes, a yz80 and a XR200. I almost always rode the XR, mainly because I was bigger than him, but I liked the way that power was more trackable and it was a lot better on hills (up and down thanks to engine braking).

My info:
1) your physical size: 6'1 210
2) How physical / aggressive are you: Reasonably, but not silly (anymore)
3) what do you plan to ride: Mostly trails, a few fields and stuff but wouldn't mind trying a track
4) Do you have any riding experience: lots on an ATV, probably 40+ hours on an XR200
5) Do you think you will race: nope, if I want to I'll buy a different bike but having the ability to hit small jumps would be nice
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work: I'll do small maintanence only
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/motor: not brand pref but I like 4 stroke b/c of gas mileage, less maintainance, noise, smoother powerband (but would consider the right 2 strok)
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand: Pretty much everything
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike: depends, preferably under $5000 (but I think bikes are still more here in Canada)
10) Do you live in California: no, Ontario
11) Your age: 28
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: I was thinking about a yzf250 or something similar by honda or Kawasaki...

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want something that's going to be fun to ride but reliable (or at least relatively so).

Thanks!

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Well my first suggestion is going to be over the $5000 you would like to stay under but my first idea is the KLX450R. Today I was lucky enough to try out my friends KLX450R. It is amazing, electric start, tons of jam and would be more than capable of play racing on a track. Super fun and easy to ride.
I had a 07 YZ250 for a spell......it was lot's of fun on the track but not so much fun anywhere else, which isn't a suprise since it's a MX bike. In the end I swapped it out for a 4 stroke, I just don't like the narrow power band of the 2 stroke anymore. I now have a CRF450R and despite it's MX DNA it works great on and off track. You're a fairly big guy, I think the 250F would be a little on the small side. I'm a wee little fellow and I don't have a problem with my 450. If you were to go 2 stroke you may want to look at KTM. I don't have any personal experience with them but according to the mumble in the mags and on the internet (which is always gospel right ;) )

MGW

Oct 22, 2007
Ya that would be a bit more than I wanted to spend. Ultimately I'd prefer to find a good deal on a 2-3 year old bike... I've heard that the newer 250 4strokes have plently of power for a less experienced rider like myself, even if I'm bigger, is that not the case? Plus I imagine I'd get a bit more range out of a tank of gas for long trial rides...

Convert

Apr 21, 2007
Hmmm........not really sure what happened to the rest of my post there.....just seemed to stop mid way through. I am far from a vet rider, rode for a year or so when I was about 16yrs old (which by the way is MANY moons ago) and again for the past couple years. I have gone from a 250 2 stroke to the 450 4 stroke and I have found the power to be more than manageable. Perhaps look at the WR and CRFX line, I imagine you could find a used bike for a reasonable price. There are a lot of folks on here with much more experience than me and I'm sure they will be happy to provide you with advice.

MGW

Oct 22, 2007
I'm really liking the looks of the CRF250X, seems to fit the bill. A bit more than I want to spend right now but maybe I can find a good deal used (or shell out...). Anything similar by other manufacturers I should consider?

Thanks for the input

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
Honda CRF250X
Yamaha WR250F
KTM 300 EXC

^^^These are a little more expensive.

Honda XR400
Kawasaki KDX200 or KDX220

^^^Cheaper but still sweet bikes.

meb5276

Sep 21, 2007
I just bought a 2006 CRF250R and I love it. I mainly ride woods and its great but I it runs even better on a track. Great trackion and power through woods (especially hill clims) and it runs great stock on the track as well. Handles great with lots of power. I would look into the r model for that reason. I thought about the x but i dont like the gearing and extra weight. just my opinion tho.

uh_oh

Sep 25, 2007
I would recommend a WR250F
the 04/05 crfs had a valve issue, so I would never buy a used CRF.
but since your a big guy i think a 450 would be better choice..
dont rule out bikes like the drz/xr 400 type bikes, there a little down on power but are pretty good bikes, they are very reliable.
good luck.

MGW

Oct 22, 2007
What's the extent (and cost to fix) the valve issue? Would a 2006 have the same issues? I'll look at the Yamaha as well, thanks!

Top Bottom