Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
Well over winter my girl friend and I we're thinking about her getting into ridding. Their is one problem though. She is to young to get a job + her school work and stuff wont allow her for a job. She likes that I ride and wants to get into it.
My question to you guys is how should she go about asking her parents to get her a bike? Her parents are pretty wealthy and have no trouble with living and paying bills. I think they said they make roughly around 8,000 a month together. Now she wouldn't need some brand new bike i was thinking a used older one like mine 96-2002? It's just convincing her parents to let her get one. I know alot of you guys are parents and have daughters and sons. What did you think when they brought it up? What did they say? I know i bugged my dad in 2003 about starting to ride and he eventually caved and bought me a 2003 and i have stayed with it all the way up to this point.
I had a 2003 ttr125L to begin with and loved it. We have been dating 8 months and plan on staying together for a while so even if we did break up I think we would be friends still. Another question is what kind of bike should see look at? I was thinking like a TTR like i had for her to learn on. She has road my bike before cr250 but that has way to much power to put her on. Maybe my friends kx100 he has been trying to sell for 700? I think its a 96 in good condition.

Here is her info.

Weight: 115
Height: 5'5
Kind of ridding: Harescrambles/woods/tracks
Expeirence: only road my bike and her brothers.

Her parents bought her brother a bike when he was younger so i dont see why they wouldn't allow her to ride. Another good thing is if she got a bike i could do all the work on it myself.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ant

Jordy_H_

Nov 19, 2006
well i can just let you know from my own experience what worked for me. basically im 14 years old now, and when i was 12 i really wanted to ride. like all my friends had one and went to the track and i was stuck there getting double ridden around and i wanted my own bike. and i kept asking my dad for one and he kept brushing it aside. so one day i opted to buy my neighbors xr100 with my OWN money. It convinced him enough. Although i now got a new kx100 for my bday. so i say the best thing to do is to convince ur parents to buy the first bike off a friend. and if that isnt enough try getting ur first bike with ur own money. then ur parents will prob get u a better bike when they see u wont kill urself and u rly like the sport. hope this helps a bit.
Jordan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
so one day i opted to buy my neighbors xr100 with my OWN money.
Good on you.

try getting ur first bike with ur own money. then ur parents will prob get u a better bike when they see u wont kill urself and u rly like the sport.
I think I understand the text-shorthand... or MAYBE, since YOU put out the effort first, they helped you. Funny how that works.

No, my parents did NOT buy my first bike... or any bike. I worked for all of them, so yeah, when I hear kids whine that mommy and daddy are butt-heads for not buying them their toys, it bothers me. It's great to read that some out there still EARN what they get.

Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
So your saying when a 8 year old starts you're pissed because their mommy and daddy buys them a bike? I'm sorry but you're opionion sounds retarded as hell to me. If you're to young to work and no one will hire you, how the hell are you suppose to make money? I have a bike that i bought on my own, BUT I am old enough to have a job. She isn't + her parents wont let her get one because of her school work.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
As a father to a teenage daughter I might be able to give a little insight here....

If I was into some activity, such as dirt bike riding, and my daughter wanted to participate as well then I would be all for it and be very generous and supportive of her. If she had a boyfriend that also was into that activity I would welcome him into our family activity. The key element here is that you would be joining our family, not my daughter joining yours.

If I was NOT into such an activity and my daughter's boyfriend wanted me to buy her the equipment necessary to participate in that activity I would have to think long and hard about it. If we were talking soccer I wouldn't hesitate. If we are talking snowboarding I would probably agree. A dirt bike? I am not so sure.

I suppose a lot would depend on what I thought of you. It would also depend on if I thought that she really wanted the bike, versus her boyfriend really wanted her to have a bike. I would seriously question your motives: why do you want her to ride with you? If you are an experienced rider, do you really want to slow down and ride with a beginner?

I can assure you that no parent wants to see their daughter get hurt. You are essentially asking them to trust you with their daughter's welfare, that you will keep her safe, teach her properly and not push her beyond her limits. Frankly, I don't think that I would put that trust in any 18 year old.

Another issue would be if having the dirt bike interferred with other family activities. At that point in life a parent is often clinging to the last of their family time. Buying a dirt bike so she can go off on weekends with someone else instead of spending time in the traditional family activities would be counterproductive to them.

I would say that you are facing an uphill battle on this one. It would help a lot if it was a sport that she really wanted to get into and it wasn't the case that she only wanted to get into it because her boyfriend was into it and she wanted to tag along. It would also help if there was some assurance that it wouldn't be a short term thing, and that next fall when she is in school, you're not and the relationship sours they don't end up with a dirt bike collecting dust in the garage forever.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's the way I see it.

Rod

Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
Yeah i understand, maybe it's just me who wants her to get a bike. She said it was fun and she rides atvs with her friends some times. She says she enjoys it, I told her well dont get a bike if you dont plan on staying in it for a while. It would be a waste of money seeing you would probably lose money selling it. She still says she wants too, so I am behind her on it. I just hope she isn't buying one or asking her parents for one because I ride. She basically is always out with me on the weekends anyways and if her parents said she couldn't go one weekend i would understand and wouldn't be mad. I never am, I can see where you're coming from as a parent and as an older person. I can see kids tend to jump into things and not stay with them, take her brother for example. He road for a year then quit, So i can see where her parents would hesitate to go out and spend the cash again.

Thanks for a serious answer.

Ant

Top Bottom