Advice on 125's 2 stroke

ishyboo

Sep 20, 2008
I've decided to go with a 125 2 stroke over a 250. I found a couple, but I have a few questions. Not sure if this is the right forum.

I found a '98 cr125 pretty cheap, $500ish. I noticed a couple things though.

There were two deep gouges in the cylinder, but the seller said they could be bored out and he already had an oversized piston for it.

One of the brake levers were missing.

The radiator had a dent in it, but it didn't look too bad.
It had an oversized sprocket on it, which makes me think the previous owner popped up the front wheel a lot.

overall it looked like it was in good shape, but was probably abused a little and would need some work.

Worth it? Or should I keep looking?
Also, can 2 strokes be converted for street use in RI?

jake760

Jun 1, 2008
Usually a nice running one will go for about $1500. If he is giving you the new piston it is about $50 to bore the cylinder(at my local shop anyways), brake lever is around $10. The large sprocket doesn't have anything to do with wheelies, he probably rode in tight areas and preferred lower gearing. It sounds like it needs some work, but that is a really good price.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Don't trust the guy that wants your money to give you all of the information that you need to make a smart decision. He obviously feels that he will lose money if he fixes the bike before selling it.

Most (but not all) bikes only have one brake lever, luckily they are cheap and easy to replace. Is the master cylinder OK? No lever makes it hard to verify that the front brake even works, this could be an expensive repair. Buy a lever and make sure that the front brake works, it could save you a huge headache.

That cylinder sounds scary, I don't know Honda so somebody else can provide input on their plating status (my Kawasaki jug can't be bored so it has to be re-plated), but you need to make sure that the cylinder can be bored enough to remove those gouges. Otherwise you will need a new cylinder.

$500 is a decent price for a bike, if you can fix it for less than $300 (most of us spend more than $300 in maintenance every year).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'd pay $500 just for the rolling chassis

dirtfreak200

Sep 28, 2008
Id try to stay away from that its sounds kind of shoty.Id check craigslist its a great site and i have bought many things from there. good luck.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
robwbright said:
On a 125 2 stroke?

You're not as hard core XR as I thought... :nener:
because that rolling chassis would be an excellent place to put a nice XR200 engine.

BOOSH!

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
XRpredator said:
because that rolling chassis would be an excellent place to put a nice XR200 engine.

BOOSH!
Ha that would be interesting at a track :nod: come out of a corner and putt up to a 40 foot tabletop and land about 10 ft into it :whoa: thats a funny mental image :rotfl:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
jackflack44 said:
Ha that would be interesting at a track :nod: come out of a corner and putt up to a 40 foot tabletop and land about 10 ft into it :whoa: thats a funny mental image :rotfl:
yeah, keep thinking that.

I'll be having more fun.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
You don't even have an XR anymore! Poser... lol jk

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Come on Pred, you should use at least a 250, but preferrably a 400. Now that would be cool, no radiators to smash (or engine maintenance)!

willvhslx

Aug 24, 2008
xr400's no maintenance yeah right i work on em mind you their property bikes. ever seen a new valve put 2 holes in a piston then imbed itself in totaly wrecking a head, bore, piston? if you ever do let me know.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
musta had a real donk with that XR400.

I rode mine hard, barely turned a wrench on it. Wish I still had it.

Joe, there may be a chance I throw an e-start TTR250 in that frame. It all depends on if I find a frame and everything else falls into place.

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Ah pred...if ya lived closer I would let you drool on mine..... :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
nah, your's is a 96. mine was a 97. I didn't like the purplish blue on the 96. Not as awesome as the red-black motif on the 97. Of course, neither of them were carbureted worth a damn.

and I live closer than you think, so be vigilant . . .

Dirtymotonut

Crazy Ole Bag
~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 2008
Would it help if I added the red balck and white XR on the tank?? My house is full of security cameras so no worries here...would see the trees falling as you walked by so I doubt you could suprise me.... :whoa:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
willvhslx said:
xr400's no maintenance yeah right i work on em mind you their property bikes. ever seen a new valve put 2 holes in a piston then imbed itself in totaly wrecking a head, bore, piston? if you ever do let me know.

Uhh, how exactly did that happen? I've heard of only a few xr engines having catastrophic failure. One was complete ignorance, the kid rode it for two years without doing anything more than fill the gas tank. At least 300 hours on it before it quit running. The others were do to people "modding" them and ham-fisted wrenching caused the engines to eat themselves.

willvhslx

Aug 24, 2008
easy for it to happen their property bikes the boys that ride them dont own them and valve tapping is just a way of life for these blokes. plus the cam chain tensioners are a weak point the shim steel spring breaks the chain goes slack and slips a few teeth = massive disaster.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
It's not the bikes fault. Anyone with half a brain can figure out that an engine will eventually self destruct if neglected too long. The difference is that an XR will usually run hudreds of hours even if neglected where a modern high performance thumper will give up in short order. I could easily triple the maintenance interval on my bike with an XR.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…