advice on setting up pickup bed for 2 bikes...

SW2001

Feb 13, 2001
Just got a Ford F-150 with an 8' bed and wanted to get some advice on setting up the bed for 2 bikes. I have always hauled my bikes around on a trailer and never in a pickup truck bed. I have a bedliner and also some hooks installed, but what else do I need to do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
You're pretty much there. One thing you can do is reinforce the front of the bed. It seems like every truck I've seen that has had bikes loaded in the back has the front of the bed smashed forward by the front tire of the bike. It is hard to fix this and it becomes necessary to fix it when the bed starts rubbing the back of the cab.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
FWIW, the new Chevy trucks have a nice sturdy front bed wall that doesn't seem to need any reinforcement. I tie my bike down tight, with the wheel centered in the box, and it doesn't flex the wall at all.

The older Ford F series boxes seemed to bow in a lot with anything pressing against them. Ditto for imports.

If feasible, I always thought tie down anchor points between the bikes along the front rail would be nice. Two of them, spaced about 1 foot from center on each side. Just cross the tie downs over for two bikes, and it makes loading/unloading one bike at a time a one person job.

Another thought was brackets for the rear wheel(s), so if you're going over rough terrain the backs of the bikes don't hop around.

How about a 12v plug in the box, for your portable 12v air compressor or trouble light, for working on the bike?

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Really you are there. I haul two bikes in my full size Chevy almost every weekend. All I did was put a rubber bed mat in so the front tire wouldn't slide. I use two tie downs on each bike in front right from the handle bars, and one across the back of both bikes just so the back ends don't bounce around.
Optimum set up would be the removeable front wheel chock. http://www.mxsouth.com/pingel/pincho.htm
I keep threating to buy them, but I haven't had any problems without.

For a ramp I got a 2x8 and cut it so I could close the tail gate, I have a short bed, and then took a piece from the left over and bolted it on the bottom with an eye bolt in the center and beveled the edge. When I'm loading I use rear tie down from the eye bolt to the lip under my step bumper to keep the ramp from sliding.

I also bought a fairly cheep tool box, the kind that has the plate pattern on the top designed to use as a step when closed. I set the beside the ramp when loading or unloading, it makes things a lot easier.

SW2001

Feb 13, 2001
Cool! Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am going to tie down the bikes with 2 straps in front on each bike, the same way I did on my trailer and 1 strap across the rear of both bikes so they don't move around. That seems like the easiest way to do it. I like the idea of having front wheel chocks too, but not sure if I'll definately do that. A friend of mine suggested putting some small 2x4 pieces on either side of both front tires to hold them straight, almost like having a front wheel chock, but just a lot cheaper I guess. Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated!

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
You can get CMP wheel chocks (the bolt in kind) for about $16 each (retail) from Parts Unlimited and MC Stuff. You could probably get a better price yet from one of the mail order comps.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
My favorite way to haul 2 bikes in a p/u bed, is both bikes front wheels aimed together in the center. Then simply move the bikes rear wheels to outside of the bed, behind the wheel wells. You simply tie down like normal, crossing the inside tiedown of each bike, under the fender of the others to reach the outside hook. This accomplishes several things, first they don't require near the tie down tension to hold, and the bikes flat stay put (even on high speed washboards ). Second, it allows you to literally fill the void between the bikes with stuff, as high as the bikes, safely and secure if need be. It also makes tarping very easy to cover your load and or bikes for security and weather. Third, it does not involve any hardware or chalks. Years ago, my riding partner insisted on this method when using his truck... it stuck with me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom