jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
Let me startout by saying, hello to all my fellow dirt riders.. SALUT!
In the midst of back 2 back accounting classesthis summer, it pleases me greatly to have Finally, after 2 long years, attain the ultimate trick for the Weekend Rider.... The TAIL WHIP..
I just need a little more advice, so i can
A: Get the bike far out enough to do a NAC NAC.. (the next goal)
B: Eventually be able to do a Carmicheal Whip.. (almost Upside down flat)

resolution:
Should I drive harder into the jump face and throw the bars harder?? Or should I start my lean earlier in the jump face?? It's taken me this long to figure it out.. I would like to do a NACNAC this weekend for a good friend of mine, who just had surgery.. He is coming out to watch, and it would just kinda make the day complete..(he used to crash every time we rode trying to do one)
Thanks in advance..
J

P.S. I just LOVE the weightless feeling!!

jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
You know what will?? I don't think i could even tell you how to do it.. but here's how it happened..
A guy that was riding with us on sunday was talking alot about how fast he is, and I just had to "show my speed" you know... Anyway.. As I was pulling faster laps, I just kinda got in a zone.. I have, for a long time, been throwing the bars over jumps and drop offs at low speed. It helps you to stay low.. Anyway.. I have been messing around with the techinique for a while now on a smaller tabletop at the track.. I always try getting a little loose in the air now and then, trying new styles..well, this one lap, i went into the triple WAY to fast.. something just made me pitch the bike over before it left the jump face.. I guess I hit it at JUST the ride time to discover the right feeling.. I couldn't get it quite the same for the next couple laps, but by the end of the day, it was looking pretty good, (as the jealous defeated rider was saying)
It's kinda like this..
get faster than usual into the jump,
stay about mid seat, (the further back you sit, the more the back end will kick out when you rebound)
When your front wheel starts to rebound off the face, swivel your waist in the direction you want to throw the rear end to, cut the rear wheel loose (little blurp of the throttle)
Throw the bars hard into the opposite direction..
To gather it back, simply return the bars straight forward while turning your waist back to square the landing...
Sounds weird, it's the best way i can describe it. the whole techinque takes about 100th of a second to execute.. It's really a cool feeling...

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
so if i want to whip left, then i rotate clockwise at the waist? in otherwords, throw my ass to the left? then, i throw the bars hard to the left?

wp.

MX Mac

~SPONSOR~
May 18, 2001
If you haven't already, Check out 'Wraithchild' on Video. There is one shot of RC doing a Nac, in slow mo, with not much whip or much speed. My advice, forget the tabletop for the Nac Whip, find something steep, with a step down. ie...More air and more time. Do the nac, then add the whip.

Also, doing the perfect whip, at speed, is like hitting a golf ball with 'draw" on it. It looks good and feels good. As does getting your first fat paycheck as an accountant. Know where I'm going with this.....

jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
I'm right handed.. so I think of it this way..
if you want to whip the bike out to the right, Rear brake lever out,
you need to turn your hips clockwise about 20 degrees or more..
You'll notice, when RC whips a bike his leg comes completely off the peg on the whipped out side (sometimes.. Ok.....RC is everywhere on bike, he is a bad example). Swiveling the hips seems to make the bike lighter on the side you turn to, and helps your body lower the center of gravity on the opposite side, making the bike turn away from you.. When you straighten the bike up, it all falls back in line..

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
gotcha. i was thinking hard about this last night....is the "bar throwing" sort of like countersteering? in other words, for the right-side whip, you rotate the hips clockwise, turn the bars to the right, but push them over to the left...

wp.

jtiger12

Feb 15, 2001
Exactly.. but you do almost all of the actions BEFORE your rear wheel leaves the jump face... that is the part that makes it scary.. essentially, you are throwing the bike "Out of Control" but by being ready, and having the right body position, the end result is staying lower, and scrubbing speed, which is the way I found out how to do it in the first place.. i don't have a digi cam, but I'll try to get some Pics for you if ya want..

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
my theory was that - just like with countersteering - pushing the bars over is what produces the lean, which is what makes you go flat in a whip. sounds like that's the deal.

wp.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Opposite of your hip rotation. To whip the bike left, you rotate hips clockwise....but you turn the bars counterclockwise. So you are actually turning the bars left for a left hand whip. Imagine oversteering a car on the snow. If you steer with the slide, you will continue to slide in that direction..if you steer the opposite direction of the slide, it will help to gain control and keep you going straight. Am, I making any sense?:confused: LOL, prolly not.
Thing is, you want to keep your front wheel heading downtrack the whole time if possible.

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
At the Gary Semics riding course I recently went to, I figured out how to whip a little. I was trying to fly low and fast, but ended up flying low, fast, and landing sidewise and highsiding. Gary told me to whip it, turn the bike as you get to the kicker on the jump(it is easyiest on a fast jump with a big kicker), and the bike will automatically whip out. Then to get it straight, you must get your center of balence on the bike. Just move to where you want the bike and the rear end will follow. All that moving aroung stuff that RC, Kdub, and MC do is style, not necessary.

MarksCR250

Jun 21, 2001
I've been looking at some whips in slow motion in honor of this thread :) ..one thing for sure is that Ricky can really get it flat when he wants to. The freestyle guys usually get the bike almost belly-up too. Apparently (because I'm an old man of 40 and am not about to break my neck, at least not for free, so I havent actually tried this) the movements just before and just after take off are what determines the degree of whip. So basically most of the technique happens just as the bike leaves the ramp. I've remember seeing bmx guys, young bmx guys, trying to imitate a whip but what they really do is only leave the ramp like normal and then turn the bars sideways a bit while in the air.. oh well.
Come to think of it, theres one little 10ft tabletop jump at a local riding area that happens in what seems to be the middle of a sweeping turn.. hmm.. maybe I might experiment with my old bones on that one! After all, I think freestyle whips originated as mild motocross turns made in 'mid air' to set up corners that followed landings, right?

Last edited:

Ocracing

Feb 12, 2001
Irrevelant? But awesome..

Practicing at a local track last weekend.. Tony Lorusso, a pro racer, you should have heard of him before pulled up, and was giving lessons to a younger 12 year old 80cc Rider... As Tony finished up the lessons he took a ride out on the track.. Man, can this guy ride..

There's a double out of a sweeper corner that I hit, which leads into another lefthand flat bermed corner.. The jump is about 20 feet long..

My truck was parked right next to this jump, and Tony comes flying on an RM125 1 through 3rd around the berm and over the double in the sickest whip I have ever seen... Flat, extended and perfectly landed into the corner... :scream:

It still is playing through my mind until this day!....

I never has the gumption to go talk to him.. I know, I know.. he's just like us, he puts his pants on one leg at a time... but this was truely amazing..;)

Curt

Top Bottom