oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I know I dust this off each year and some of you may be sick of seeing it but I bring it back for those who are new to the site. As racing starts up again this summer I think we need to think about our actions as parents and the role we play with our kids. This is a true story and gives reason to think how we as parents approach our kids racing. Remember for the vast majority of us we are there for the fun, chance to spend time together and the benefit of our kids.

Contrary to what you will no doubt infer from the following lines, my
father is a great man-not a jerk. He served two tours of duty in Vietnam
and started a third tour before getting injured. Racing motocross is what I
wanted to do since my earliest what-I-wanna-be-when-I-grow-up thoughts. He
gave me that opportunity when I was 11 years old, and I will always be
grateful to him for it. My dad, like any good parent, wanted me to have the
opportunities he never had, to live the dreams he never go to, but sometimes
he got so wrapped up in his dreams for me that he forgot about my dreams.
Eventually I got the chance to race my first race in the 80cc Beginner
class at De Anza Cycle Park. I got dead last in both motos and I loved it!
There was just something about leaving the start gate with 15 other riders
that got my adrenaline going-so much so that I looped out right out of the
gate in the second moto in an attempt to get a better start. I loved those
days. I loved getting up in the morning too early to open my eyes to drive
to the track on the weekends. I loved riding motorcycles.
It was rather infrequent at first, but sometimes, especially at the bigger
races, if I didn't do well, my dad would say some mean things to me. He
would say things like "You're worthless" and "Why did we drive out here so
you could ride around the track like a wimp on a Sunday ride?" He started
to forget why we were doing it. It was supposed to be for fun and bonding,
but he actually, genuinely got his feelings hurt if I fell or rode poorly in
a race.
I came off the track at Perris Raceway during the Night Series after
finishing midpack. I knew I'd had a poor race, and I knew my dad knew it
too. I had pretty heavy arm pump, and I was expecting to hand over the bike
to him in the pits so he could put it on the stand, and I could get my gear
off. I knew he'd be upset. I parked the motorcycle next to the stand and
watched as my dad walked up-I could tell he was pissed. As I reached down
to turn the gas off, I heard a loud smack inside my helmet. I almost fell
off my bike. My dad had delivered an open handed blow across my head-helmet
on, of course-but he was that upset-so upset that he hit me.
Racing never really got the fun back for me. It's had a negative
connotation in my mind since I was in my very early teens. All because,
ultimately, my dad wanted me to be Jeremy McGrath more than he cared about
having fun. I wasn't around when Jeremy was coming up through the ranks,
but I could almost guarantee you that Jeremy's father never screamed at him
for losing, or threatened him in any way. That's part of why he is where he
is, at the top of our sport.
If you don't think your child tried hard enough, or cares enough, he's not
going to try any harder or care any more if you force him to. Actually, it'
ll probably have quite the opposite effect.
If you're a mini parent, you can take it from me that what your kid wants
most is to have fun. Chances are that he or she won't ever ride a factory
bike, and chances are even better that you'll never get the money back out
of motocross racing that you put into it. The focus should be more on
whether or not your kid has a smile under that helmet, and less on whether
or not your kid beat so-and-so's kid. It's ridiculous to spend
college-tuition money on racing in the hopes that some day Junior will sign
a multimillion-dollar contract to race motorcycles.
Little 12-year-old Timmy isn't racing for the 250cc Supercross
championship. He's racing for fun.

-Reprinted with permission from Cycle News
www.cyclenews.com

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Well Dave as I approach my 1st anniversary on the board here I have to say that still has to be one of my all time favorite posts. :thumb: Thanks for posting it to try to help others keep things in perspective.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks for the reminder, I'll have my daughter take her helmet off before I smack her upside the head so's I don't hurt my hand. ;)

I enjoy reading this post every time you put it here. I am so aware of some of the "mini parents" attitude at the track and I swore I'd never be like that.

Last weekend, Tigger were at the track for Sunday mx. She was up for the 4th race of the day as they called for 3rd race staging. The two of us were making our way to the gate when we noticed her class heading for the 1st turn. It seems the 3rd race was "light" so they at the last minute combined the 2 classes. I motioned for her to go and she refused stating she didn't want to race now. After several attempts and she still refusing to go I became upset. I had paid the entry fee and she just wasted my money.

I told her to go back to the f'n trailer as she pulled her goggles off. The guy was running the gate apologized for not waiting on her and after his 2nd or 3rd attempt to get her to go ahead and race she finally agreed. By this time I was thinking maybe she shouldn't go, figuring she would not be in a good frame of mind to race. She put her goggles back on and started through the gate as they raised it. She slammed the brakes and went around. By the time she made the 1st corner the other kids were about to complete their 1st lap. I watched her head off around the track and got this bad feeling that I'd made an a$$ out of myself and my pay back would be hell.

Something happened in that race that I can't explain. Tigger was starting almost a lap down. She doesn't have that much experience racing yet and she's on a 60 that has to be ridden on the top of the pipe to ride aggressively. As she made her way into the rhythm section I found myself holding my breath, she tripled in! She rode the best race of her life and though she came in last, she did manage to catch up to the pack. It was a 3-lap race.

When she came off the track I've never seen her so happy, I had never felt so bad. Thinking I had been a jerk I delicately asked how she felt. Her comments were quite clear, "I love racing!" She apologized for not wanting to race and I apologized for not being more prepared. The 2nd moto wasn't as exciting but good enough to net her a 3rd overall. If she had crashed while racing I would have kicked myself in the rear for acting like a mini dad. I'm glad she raced and did well but I'm thankful my actions didn't cause her to do something stupid. Incidentally she said she felt comfortable out there and never did ride beyond her capabilities or over her head.

Here's a pic of her from the 1st moto.

Attachments

• 3 16 03 fhailey in air.jpg
    3 16 03 fhailey in air.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 447

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Guys, I need some help. I dont have kids myself, but I do ride with some kids that are around 10 years old. I help theit fathers fix their bikes.

Both the fathers are "mini dads". How can I get this article to them, in a tactful manner? No kids are getting hit (I would call social services), but this article was written for them.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Copy to Word/Notepad, print it out, and send it to them anonymously through the mail.

Good post OldGuy...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Rcannon if they use your tools print it and put in the lid to your toolbox or post it inside your trailer in plain view. Another way is maybe as you are sitting down to lunch pull it out and start reading it then hand it to them as if someone dropped it off by your pit. I keep a copy in our trailer just to remind myself when I start getting caught up in the points races pressure. Unfortunatly many will not recognize themselves until it is to late:(
Jeff great picture of tigger :thumb:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Rcannon, The father of my son's racing buddy is somewhat of a "mini-dad" always very critical etc of his son. What I do to make my point with him is every time he starts being too critical of his son I offer him my bike so he can go "show" his son how to do it like he's explaining. Since he doesn't ride and has never seen a racetrack other than from outside the ropes this usually brings a quick halt to the criticism and a change of the subject. :thumb:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I always love that one Chili. I gave up teaching my kid when he started jumping over me on big doubles. I have nothing to "add" to his racing skills. I leave the teaching up to his coach.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Guys, a printed copy of this is now in the top of my toolbox. Damn, I hope it helps.

Last week was too much. The ten year old (great kid) flat out told me..."This sucks" (riding) He siad "everyone is faster than me, and my dad just keeps getting mad"

I hope it helps!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Rcannon
Last week was too much. The ten year old (great kid) flat out told me..."This sucks" (riding) He siad "everyone is faster than me, and my dad just keeps getting mad"
I just hate when I see kids feeling like that at the track :think: If his son is to that point and he hasn't seen it I don't think the subtle approach will dent his skull. Good luck and keep encouraging that 10yr old and when he finally finds himself on the track you can stand tall knowing what you did for him. I have a similar situation where a young man calls me his track dad. He started racing at 14 and his dad had no interest so he just won't go to the track at all (would rather sit home and watch TV). His mom brought him to all the races and I did what I could to help. Last year (his 3rd Racing) he placed very high in the district points for his class and I was just as proud of him as my own son's results. Now that he is 17 he has adopted my son and the 2 practice together anytime they can and altho we live an hour apart they still go out to movies and other events together.

Sarge1

Feb 16, 2003
As a fairly new member, this is the first time I've had an opportunity to read the article. Unfortunately it brings back some unpleasant memories of my "wrestling" Dad. It was basically the same story just a different sport...a boot across the ass for losing a match, etc. As a father of four (two which started racing last year), I'm kinda thankful to him for being such an idiot while I was growing up. The lessons I take from all those years will benefit my kids tenfold. My son Ryan (age 7) rode in his first race last year and finished dead last in both motos. The first moto loss was due to Dad's inexperience in the pits, and the second was a pretty bad crash on the last lap. I can't even begin to tell you how proud I was that he did his best, however I felt terrible that they gave trophies up to sixth place and he finished eighth. We had so much fun that day, HE can't wait for the first race of this year (I think he's shooting for sixth this year so he can get one of those trophies). While I can't say much for wrestling these days, I can say that motocross has already given me many incredible opportunities to spend time with my kids. And as we all know...there's enough pain in this sport without our Dads inflicting more.

Mike

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Sarge, I think your post is why I tok my 10 year old friends deal so seriously.

Change "wrestling" to "baseball" and sign my name to it!

And back to my original gripe....The conditions wer awful that day. Heavy wind and very cold. The track is tough on a full sized bike. Imagine with the 12 and 14 inch wheels of the KX 65?

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Nice post! My son is 3 and will hopefully be riding within a few years (when I think he's ready). I have always been a non-competitive type person and hope that my son will be the same way. I hope to show him that everyone is faster than Daddy but that's ok because it's still a blast. :)

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Thanks Dave! As everyone I always enjoy this article. I have been getting a little out of sorts with Josh lately. Maybe we will read this together again tonight! :thumb:

He has been kicking my butt in the fantasy league. He lets me know every week how cool it is to beat his dad. Now he has his sights on Big lou and Miss Nikki. :laugh:

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Got any articles for dad's on how to cope with your son getting faster than you? LOL. At the last 2 cross country races I've posted faster average lap times than my old man (not more than 30 secs faster, but faster indeed) and it seems to bother him a little. On a side note, I'm glad my dad was never this way. Not really. We didn't even ride when I was between 8 and 13 cause I didn't want to.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
man you guys dont know how lucky it is to have a dad that even pushes you.. and supports the soprt of motocross im 17 and started riding a year and a half ago i literally had to beg my parents to let me get a bike, the whole motocross is danerous thing, my dad is more of a sports ( football, basket ball)(he wanted me to get into football and stuff liek that) fan not motorcycle racing type fan, ive wanted to get into motocross since i was a kid and my parents wouldnt let me untill i was old enough to buy my own bike and stuff and old enough to drive myself to the track.... even now they dont fully liek what im doing but eventually saw that its somthing i love and they cant take me from it...
i just thought id share that so you can value your dads that started you riding when u were little...

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Just got back from our first real race. Me in the old man class on my KDX and my son in the beginner class on his KX. HAD A BLAST:)
Put my son the bed and he wants to sleep with his trophy(2nd).

Thanks for the article. I told him above all things (after giving him the crash course on flag colors, starts and stuff) have fun. I think it worked!!!

Interesting thing about the flags - He's color blind

jcrawford1

Sep 18, 2002
Try as I might to not show it, But some times my son just plain get me mad. I do not care where is finishes as long as he gives it 100%.
As I have told him I give 100% when working on his bikes so they are as fast as they can be and as safe as they can be. I give it 100% when I clean his bikes & gear after a race weekend. I give it 100% when I pay for all the racing. His sister gives it 100% when she spends all day at the races so he can race. All I ask is if you want to race you try and give it 100 % Most times he does but every now and then he just plain rides and doesn't race.

I sure wish I could get in there little minds some times :)

Alberta Bill

Jun 4, 2003
Great posts everyone! I can relate to the situations from a hockey perspective. Hockey dads here act similar to minibike dads. Some even take the training that allows them to coach their sons and daughter so they can yell at them on the bench. Those kids won't be playing hockey in a few years if the situation doesn't change.

Mario

Feb 20, 2003
Hi guys. I have tried to encourage my son (he's 6) as much as possible and I guess I am a little pushy but not agreesively so or this will destroy our relationship and the fun.

Yesterday we took out both bikes to practice (he has a 50cc auto and I have a Honda XR400R). On a very tight twisty course he was hard to pass and I found "competing" against him was serious fun but more impartantly the wish to beat dad includng the odd block pass was better than any amount of calling "go faster or wind it open".

Mummy was a little shocked that he had managed to take me off!! first time I've fallen in exactly 20 years. Felt great !!!!

They need to compete because they want to and not because you want them to no matter how proud you are of them. Getting on the bike is a big challenge for these little guys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom