AF 500

Discussion in 'Dirt Bike Mods & Maintenance' started by Donnie Wilson, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Donnie Wilson

Donnie Wilson Rookie

I just built a AF 500 Honda 1985 engine CDI was bad, I bought a new OEM stator, rotor, and CDI.
    Box for a 2001 cr 500 engine was just rebuild, the stator has fixed mounting holes, when I try to start the engine all I get is a loud pop out of the pipe, and a lot of resistance from the kick starter any recommendations where to adjust the timing to

- PRODUCT DEALS -

2. jaguar

jaguar Subscriber

turn the timing plate counter-clockwise to retard the timing.
    of course if it doesn't have slotted holes for the screws then you have to make them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. The Honda Pilot

The Honda Pilot Pro Class

Just a thought...I have a 500AF as well, they do have a ton of compression and mine pops as well as every other 500 i've been around. That to me is normal and the heavy kick is normal as well. I know that doesn't help with your situation if it is the timing but what you described sounds normal to me.

4. jaguar

jaguar Subscriber

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...