ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Went mudding on Saturday or seemed like it anyway. It rained pretty bad last week and the trails were MUDDY as HELL!
I probably had 50 lbs of mud caked on my bike after i got back home. I hosed off every inch of the bike and I'm going to clean my air filter tonight but should I need to re grease anything? I'm concerned mainly about the wheel bearings and the chain. Sounded like i had mud in the wheel bearings but after i washed all the mud off i think thats fine because it's not making a grinding noise anymore. The chain didnt have one spec of rust on it before and now that I let it sit for a night w/ mud caked on it, theres rust all over it. How can i fix this? WD40 or is there a prefered chain oil? Anything else I need to do?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Peer Lovell said:
Clean and lube the chain.

With what? WD40? or is there a chain oil? I've already cleaned all the mud off of it. It literally took me about an hour to get it all off and then it was late so i went to bed but I'll continue tonight. Just need some buidance as far as what cleaner/lube to use.

hndarida4life

Jan 26, 2006
i do the bearings every month regrease or put new ones in if needed.....but just look at them and see if they r dirty if so clean and re grease them

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I use lithium based grease - you can get it at Auto Zone or probably any other automotive store. I just bought a can for like $2.00-$3.00.

Haven't you seen all the chain lubes they sell at the local motorcycle shop? I like PJ1 Black Label.

Lots of people here like Jaybird's lube at http://www.mx1000.com. I haven't tried it yet . . .

WD40 is not much of a lubricant, from what I understand. It has its uses, but there are far better things for lubing a chain.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
robwbright said:
I use lithium based grease - you can get it at Auto Zone or probably any other automotive store. I just bought a can for like $2.00-$3.00.

Haven't you seen all the chain lubes they sell at the local motorcycle shop? I like PJ1 Black Label.

Lots of people here like Jaybird's lube at http://www.mx1000.com. I haven't tried it yet . . .

WD40 is not much of a lubricant, from what I understand. It has its uses, but there are far better things for lubing a chain.

This is the kind of info I was needing. Thanks again robwbright! :cool:

indynotch50

Oct 13, 2004
If i'm not mistaken your rear bearings are sealed so no dirt, mud, or sand will get in there unless there is a prior problem with the bearing.
I agree with Robwbright, WD-40 is a penatrant, it's good for breaking bolts loose. Go to any cycle shop and get their stuff, it's specially made for what you're doing.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
indynotch50 said:
I agree with Robwbright, WD-40 is a penatrant, it's good for breaking bolts loose. Go to any cycle shop and get their stuff, it's specially made for what you're doing.

It's kinda ironic since there are better penetrants than WD40 - so I'm not sure if it's the BEST thing to use for anything. ;)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
WD-40 is not a penetrant or a lube. It's name indicated what it is used for: "WD" stands for Water Dispersant. "40" because it is the 40th blend that they tried. It does a damn good job of it, too. There is nothing better to spray on a freshly cleaned works pipe to prevent rust. I like Jaybird's lube too, it's a dry film type lube. I think the best quality of it, when it dries it is not sticky, gooey, or waxey. It dosen't attract dirt to the chain and sprockets, a very good thing. For a penetrant, I use PB Blaster. That stuff'll loosen anything!

Another tip for the mud. Go buy (or take mom's/wifes) cooking spray. Spray down the fenders, the mud won't stick as easily.

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
robwbright said:
It's kinda ironic since there are better penetrants than WD40 - so I'm not sure if it's the BEST thing to use for anything. ;)

It's not a penetrant. It's a Water Dispersant. The best thing you can use on things that RUST or in your electronics if they get wet. That's what WD stands for. It's ok for door hinges but like has been said, it's not a great lubricant, especially since it is sticky....not the ideal thing for your chain.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
droopie69 said:
It's not a penetrant. It's a Water Dispersant. The best thing you can use on things that RUST or in your electronics if they get wet. That's what WD stands for. It's ok for door hinges but like has been said, it's not a great lubricant, especially since it is sticky....not the ideal thing for your chain.

(look up) :nener:

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Well This is what I did.
I drenched the chain in wd40 and cleaned it w/ water/scrubbrush to break off some the rust that accumilated after washing the mud off. Bought some Champion chain lube (walmart special) and drenched the chain with it after i cleaned it. I'll have to go by the shop and get some real stuff this weekend. it was just a quick fix. For future reference, what is a good rust buster? I've got some one my front sproket and want to get it off.

Top Bottom