KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
10 Percent? HECK NO.
you might gain 1 hp, but if you had a busted up stocker, or a thirst for bling while wielding a deep pocket may be the best reasons.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
No... not really, i saw an advertisement claiming that. I figured Id see what you boys thought. Stock pipes arent cheap either though. ;)

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Stock pipes cost more than aftermarket from my experience. If your stocker is smashed it's a good alternative. There are alot of pipes available. The best thing to to is talk to people who have the exact same bike as you and have tried different pipes and see what they say about them.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
i don't know about the exact power gain, but i do know that an aftermarket pipe will make a noticable difference in the power characteristics, depending on the pipe and motorcycle.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
dont buy a pipe if you have a good one and yoru got good jetting...spend that money on a different toy or some clothes...it wont suddenly make you think your on a bigger bike.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
No, I wont do that! I could care less about my clothes. :) I wont be buying a FmF pipe after seeing what you guys thought ( I really wanted input before Id even consider buying one...thats the great thing about this forum). Im a stocker anyways. I will be putting a skid plate on the yz. I do know that!

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
An aftermarket pipe will give you a small HP gain but mostly they move the "usable power" up or down the RPM range. An FMF Gnarly pipe moves the power lower in the RPM range where the SST pipe is more of a high RPM pipe. The best bang for your engine buck would be porting and a pipe.

Everyone will tell you the best mod for a bike is a properly set up suspension. I had mine revalved and I agree.

Good luck, Steve.

P.S. We are talking about a 2-stroke right?

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
like he said ^^ it will shift the powerband. or if your more for trails the Gnarly will smooth out the power distrabution... all the pipe really does is let the bike breath better and tunes it so you get proper back pressure before combustion.

if it was me i would get the Factory Fatty pipe (**** like 85 bucks..) and a turbine 2 or shorty.

i run the PC platinum and R304 shorty.. gives it a louder bark, and even's out the powerband better..

Pipe, Port, Reeds, Sprockets.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
Snb73, As far as my suspension goes its a revalved factory suspension set up for 180lbs which fits me perfectly. I lucked out on that when I bought the bike. :)

Top Bottom