After market pipe on Y125 ?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Is anyone running an after market pipe on a 2000 yz125 ? What do you think ? Worthwhile ?
Anyone using DEP or DOMA ?

Thanks in advance
TR

trelecht99

Aug 3, 2002
Well i have been told that on the '02 and '03 models to keep the pipe stock because it is so good. they have strong power throughout and unless you want more power in a certain area dont bother because you might only need bottom so you buy a pipe to give it bottom but then you loose out on top end power! DEP work with one of the yamaha factory teams so they must be good pipes. FMF also make good pipes, they have more of a selection so you can choose where you want the power and then buy the pipe that does the job best. check out their website on the dynos and see where each pipe gives power to. I personaly dont think its worth it, unless your racing and need that extra bit power, if you want more power buy a 250, save your money for when something breaks big time!

trelecht99

Aug 3, 2002
A pipe may only give you a tiny bit more power for alot of money, if you are expecting a HUGE power gain allroung then dont bother, a pipe just moves th power to another area. DEP work with lots of yamaha teams and they are good pipes for yamaha.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
i went to pro actions website as they said they were the only distributor but i couldnt find anything on the pipes, where are they at?

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I dont' know about the YZ, but if you don't re-jet when you get a pipe, you wont notice much. But, every bike that I have put a pipe on(and re-jetted) has responded big time. I usually go Pro Circuit.

On my '92 RM 125 much more mid and top, much more fun to ride.
On my '94 CR 125 smoother, fatter midrange and more top.
On my '95 CR 250 more everywhere.
On my '02 RM 250 night-and-day difference, totally different bike.

If your bike is currently jetted right, is well maintained and you want more power, get a new pipe. I have never been dissatisfied w/ FMF or Pro Circuit, but perfer Pro Circuit. $160(for a pipe) is $15 more than you'd pay for a reed valve and I think it makes a bigger difference. V-force reed valves and aftermarket pipes do work well together, though.

I've never seen porting and head mods done for less than $200 and they're permanent. If you don't like your pipe, take it off and sell it to a friend. If you don't like the porting, good luck.

They'll tell you that it's all in my head. But, I'll tell you that going from mid-pack starts to getting hole-shots has me sold on aftermarket pipes. THEY ARE WORTH THE $! :flame:

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Since the time I wrote my last post, someone had edited or deleted a post in which he said that EG would do a port. head mod for under $100. False info. Try not to exaggerate. someone might believe you. Besides, the guy asked for info on pipes, not porting.

Yes, $150 for porting and head mos is a good deal!

Last edited:
Top Bottom