Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I am considering going to aftermarket clutch plates for my 2004 RM 250. I just looked at my stock parts, and everything looks perfect. No notching on the basket. I don't have a micrometer, but everything looked new and hardly worn.

Will my clutch engagement improve if I leave the basket and pressure plate stock but replace the plates? Right now it goes into gear roughly from idle, and is jerky on take off (just like MXA said). Do DP, EBC and Barnett kits work well with the stock basket? Or is there more slop, which will lead to the basket notching?

I've done searches, but can't seem to find an answer to this problem (for this bike). Will I improve things or just cause real problems if I buy one of the clutch 'kits' to slip into my stock basket and pressure plate?

Thanks.

youngr51

Jul 20, 2004
I wouldnt waste your money. If what you have is still new then that probleywont fix it. 9 times out of 10 those kind of parts better from OEM anyways. You might try a different gear oil like sythetic or even try ATF. Try lightly roughing up the steels so the plates wont stick together so much when going from nuetral into gear.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not the same bike but the same brand, we went with a Barnett kit in my son's 03 RM125 and I haven't been thrilled with the clutch action. His buddy with the same bike opted for the DP kit and they have been happy with the clutch. We will be replacing the basket shortly with a Vortex outer and stock inner and going back to OEM plates.

Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I've never heard of roughing up the plates. How would I do this? Fine sandpaper? Any direction the 'scratches' should go? Around with or up and down against the direction of the spinning plates? Is there a downside to roughing up the steels?

Anyone ever try this mod? What were the results?

BTW, I'm using Torco 85 weight (their heavy gear oil, and the equivalent of 10-40, which my owners manual recommends). They also make an 80 weight, and a 75 weight. Would dropping to a lighter oil make the clutch less grabby? Less of a distinct CLUNK when I go from neutral to first gear? Any real downside to the lighter oil?

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
i had to rough the plates on my 04rm250 to get thru a moto... just take some light sp and basically deglaze them and rough the surface a bit..

Top Bottom