CJR

Jun 22, 2008
I have a CR 250 and have been thinking about buying an aftermarket gas tank to increase the range of the bike. I do mostly trail riding and the idea of increasing the tank from 2 gallons to 3 gallons is interesting. I am always worried about running out of gas and don't have a good idea of the current range of my bike.

Has anyone done this to their 2 stroke and any suggestions on brand? I want one that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and doesn't look to big. Also, does anyone have an idea on how many MPGs a typical 2 stroke 250 get under trail conditions?

Thanks

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What year is your CR? I had a 3.2 gallon Clarke on my '99 and it worked well. Spark plug access on the trail was not good, but other than that the tank was excellent. The '97 - '99 CR have the same frame and tank.

Usually, Clarke tanks are slightly cheaper than IMS.

As for range, there are a lot of variables. Riding in mud or sand will kill your range. An aggressively ported motor like an '01 CR250 will suck way more fuel than a more mildly ported motor like a '99 CR250. I would say 20 miles per gallon would be typical for a 250 MX bike ridden hard, with 25 mpg a best case scenario for a 250 MXer. Jetting and the rpm range the rider likes to use also play a part. Could be as low as 15 miles per gallon.

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks Dave. Good info. I have a 93. I've estimated I am getting around 18 MPG so consistent with what your saying. I ride in pretty sandy conditions so I am burning more gas.

I went ahead and ordered the Clarke tank, hopefully it will work out for me. When looking at photos I can see what you mean about spark plug access. It looks pretty tight from what I can tell.

Thanks again for the info.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
I would say that dave is pretty spot on. I would say that I get about 22 mpg or more. That rate is usually a combination of trail riding(faster paced, dry hard pack) and motocross. When I go to the dunes I can basically cut that in half, and then lop off another couple mgp's, coming out at about 8 or 9. I found out the hard way by actually running out of gas in the middle of no where. Anyway, let us know how the tank goes and try and get some pictures. :cool:

Airbus

Jun 15, 2008
Fortunately most tanks come off pretty easy. Since I've been trying to repair my tank, I've had it off the bike 3 times already. I can do the job in about 5 minutes. If my latest repair attempt does'nt work, I'll probably spring for the Clarke 3.7 gallon tank for my YZ250....

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Airbus, I had the same bike as you with the 3.7 gallon Clarke tank. I could go for a 6 hour ride and use about half a tank. Although the top part holds much more gas than the lower portion. Having a clear tank is the best because you can always see your gas level.

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
I expect to get the tank in 7-10 days. I will post some before and after pictures and let everyone know how it works.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I had a Clarke on my old KTM. It did the job it was supposed to, but...
a) I never cared for the looks
b) it was impossible to keep clean looking
c) spark plug access was near impossible w/out removing the tank (easy to do though)
d) i "racked" myself a few times on the part that sticks up during endo crashes

I bought an Acerbis tank (black) for my '08 ktm and have been very happy with it. It appears the same size as stock because gas is stored in the shrouds, and looks very trick over-all. It also actually allows for easier spark plug access than the stock tank. The only negative I can say about it is that none of the graphics kits will fit it.

CJR

Jun 22, 2008
I finally got the tank and installed it. I went with the Clarke 3.2 gallon. I had a couple of challenges getting it to bolt up but I figured it out and am happy with it. The main issue was the fuel filter on my fuel value wouldn't slide into the hole provided on the tank. It was a bit small and needed to be drilled out. I wasn't excited about having to modify the new tank but Clarke assured me that if the tank leaked they would exchange it. I driled it out and had to wash out the tank to get rid of the particles...no big deal but not plug and play.

Everything else bolted up reasonably well and it looks pretty good. I was concerned about spark plug access but it has as much clearance as stock! It is definitely higher and a bit more bulky than the stock tank but it really isn't that big of a deal. The extra range is well worth it. I decieded to go with black because I figured it would blend better with the bike and I was told the clear tanks turn a rust color over time. It would be nice to be able to be able to see the fuel level but I figure it won't be an issue anymore and I won't always be wondering how much I have left.

I figured out I've been getting 19 mile per gallon so this will give over 60 miles on one tank. That is more riding than I usually fo in one day so no more running out.

Here are before and after some photos. Tell me what you think.

Before
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/crusso_2008/IMG_1431-1.jpg

After
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/crusso_2008/IMG_1435.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/crusso_2008/IMG_1436.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/crusso_2008/IMG_1438.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/crusso_2008/IMG_1437.jpg

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
i have the same tank on my 02, have had it for a couple years now and have no complaints except the holes in the tank shrouds under seat to access the top subframe bolt is now useless. so before you could pull the top bolt and 2 side subframe bolts to remove the subframe now requires removal of the gas tank as well. kind of a PITA but no big deal.

Top Bottom