longtime

Oct 7, 1999
The stock one's a beauty. Too beautiful and too costly to replace. So I was wondering about aftermarket options. I talked to Steve at MotoWest, who cautioned me that their pipe is designed to have a little more "hit" than the stocker. I'm not sure if that's what I want.

Questions: What other options are there, and do they, too, have harder hits? Have any of you ec300 owners tried the MotoWest pipe? Maybe it's okay to ramp it up a notch, as it's so linear to start with? Though I am primarily a trail rider. Thanks.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
There is no such thing as an aftermarket pipe on a GAS GAS! :silly: :p

Hey, how's that finish holding up? Daryl & Daryl want to know?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
LT - The stock Messico looks nice, but ends up looking like a beer can crushed against the skull of a dozen Sig Ep's at a frat party after a few rides in rocks... even with a pipe guard.

I bought a Motowest pipe for my EC250. It's made from thicker gauge steel. I believe it's even thicker than the FMF pipe on the XC model. My first ride with the pipe I noticed a considerable hit in the midrange. Made it tough when climbing a snotty East Coast hill covered with wet rocks and roots. My solution was to install a reed block spacer. This decreased crankcase compression and smoothed out the transition from lowend to midrange. Those two items and LTR jetting are the only performance modifications made to my bike. I feel it's even better than stock.

The EC300 comes with the spacer already installed. In drier, flatter conditions I would probably ride without the spacer.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
LT - The stock Messico looks nice, but ends up looking like a beer can crushed against the skull of a dozen Sig Ep's at a frat party after a few rides in rocks... even with a pipe guard.

That I can verify! :think

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Thanks for the responses. After talking with MotoWest and Smackover, I think I'll be getting an FMF Gnarly pipe. Problem is, they're back ordered for two more weeks. Meantime, Ol89r says I should go ahead and ride and not worry about messing up that beautiful stocker. Well actually, he said I should ride to the tallest hilltop and push her down it so I quit worrying about scratches. :scream: Talk about Old School!!:o

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
You guys must crash alot:p

I've been running the stock Messico since a got my bike 10 or so months ago. I do not have a single "significant" dent on the pipe at this point (I'm currently knocking on my wooden desk). Yes, I do have a pipe guard, and I guess a lot of luck:eek:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Lemming
You guys must crash alot

Tim - Why don't you come up here for some some real riding. I'm talking rocks, mud, roots, hills, ruts and more rocks. Those wide, flat, sandy quad trails must really be boring. :p

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
You guys must crash alot:p

I've been running the stock Messico since a got my bike 10 or so months ago. I do not have a single "significant" dent on the pipe at this point (I'm currently knocking on my wooden desk). Yes, I do have a pipe guard, and I guess a lot of luck:eek:

Some of us get the motor off the pilot jet :confused:

There is not ONE dent in my pipe. But the stock pipe is really low and vulnerable to logs when you cross them. The curve that comes out the motor has also been pushed back to the frame.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
There is not ONE dent in my pipe. The curve that comes out the motor has also been pushed back to the frame. :confused:

Off's pipe must look just like mine. I believe he had an E-Line guard and I was using a Moose guard.

EK

Dec 3, 2000
What's stock?

Stock GasGas machines come with a Messico pipe. As I understand it, GGNA installs the FMF Gnarly on the XC's. My XC has the FMF Gnarly. It works well for me.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

EK

Dec 3, 2000
E-line guard

The e-line guard is very light. It almost floats out of your hand.;)

It defintiely has taken a beating and the pipe is dent free. However, the pipe is pushed back to the frame a bit as Woodsrider describes.

Eric K
'01 GasGas 300XC

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
My 2000 EC has an FMF. I believe it is stock. I have added an eline gaurd and love it.:)

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
The FMF must be "home made". It has the crappiest fit of any pipe I've ever seen.

I had the Motowest pipe on my '98 and loved it. E-line also has a pipe guard to fit the Motowest pipe.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
I have had an eLine guard on my bike since new, it has helped but the pipe is still flexed. Basically the Messico's are very thin and can be bent.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Woodsrider- I'll see your rocks with my home riding area "Clanton Track and Trail", you'd be hard pressed to find a single grain of sand there. You are welcome to come down for the BT&T Enduro next month.

Offroadr- that's right, you don't have a GG Trials bike so you wouldn't know what a double-blip is. There's no reason to dent your pipe on a log if you do it right:o Unfortunately I won't be a Casey to show you how it's done.

I'm running the E-line guard on my stock Messico. I believe that they started putting FMF's on in 2000, but I could be wrong on that.

Offroadr

Jan 4, 2000
There's no reason to dent your pipe on a log if you do it right:o Unfortunately I won't be a Casey to show you how it's done.

Darn, I was really looking forward to a lesson on how to cross a log :D

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
LT,
The e-line CF pipe guard weighs about as much as a breath of fresh air. If you alway ride in front of yout buds, never crash, and never pound your bike pipe first into steep 2.'+ vertical rock steps, you do not need a pipe guard. The e-line is the bestpipe guard, IMO, but even a CF guard will not prevent the pipe from bending under extreme duress.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Woodsrider- I'll see your rocks with my home riding area "Clanton Track and Trail", you'd be hard pressed to find a single grain of sand there. You are welcome to come down for the BT&T Enduro next month.

B]
Hey I'll see your rocks and raise you two. Up here we got rocks, lots of em

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Longtime,

FMF got the brackets a little screwed up, but it torques down OK and doesn't hit anything. Same with the silencer. I like the pipe on my 250. E-line has a guard that fits well also. If you have a skid plate, you will have to remove some material on the left front, as the head pipe is tucked in closer to the frame than the Messico.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by MR.WR
[B}
Longtime....just get over it and ride:p [/B]

My sentiments exactly.;)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
You guys . . . Don't you get it?! I might scratch something. Waaahhhh! Waaaaahhhh!! Oh wait -- it hasn't happened yet. Okay, well, consider that preemptive crying.:o

Top Bottom