Aftermarket Head vs. Modded Stocker

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Wanted to get your guys opinion as to what you think would be the better option, going with an after market head with adjustable inserts or have the stocker head milled. Pro's, Con's of each? Thanks for your help.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
first off, are you willing to run race gas?

after messing with a similar thing myself, instead of getting the head milled, i would consider trying a slightly thinner base gasket (from cometic) to lower the ports a bit, it will raise comp/reduce squish clearnace etc and might add a touch of bottom which the new crs are said to be lacking....just an idea, and only costs $5!:)

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Yep, race gas is not a problem. I run it currently just because I like the consistency. I thought about doing the gasket thing, I am leaning towards the aftermarket head though due to the adjustability of it.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I honestly think they are a waste of money.They dont come(well VHM dont) with any blanks, so you have to pay yet more money.You could mod the std one and then by a second one which could be a low/high compression version and still save a lot of money.They look pretty however.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
We use them alot on kart and Micro sprint motors one consideration is that when you blow up a motor and damage the cyl head you can just change the less expensive insert instead of the whole head . Usually they hold more coolant .

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Im really not that into the whole bling bling gotta have it thing but I really think those SRS or hot boost heads are neat looking .

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
When you make this mod, do you typically have to jet a little richer?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…