Aftermarket Manufaturers

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
This is a :flame: for all the accessory manufacturers who make products with

- Standard thread bolts instead of Metric. HELLO, usually we don't put this stuff on our Rickman's, Triumphs or BSAs.

- 12 mm bolt heads where ALL the rest of the bolts on my bike are 13 mm. If you have spent a gazillion dollars on your spiffy CNC machine how hard is it to make 13 mm AND 12 mm products?

I addressed this with a BIG NAME company and was just given the "well, that's how we make it" response.

PATHETIC!!!! I wonder if I do a product review and SLAM them for this would they listen/care?

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
This is a :flame: for all the accessory manufacturers who make products with

- Standard thread bolts instead of Metric. HELLO, usually we don't put this stuff on our Rickman's, Triumphs or BSAs.

- 12 mm bolt heads where ALL the rest of the bolts on my bike are 13 mm. If you have spent a gazillion dollars on your spiffy CNC machine how hard is it to make 13 mm AND 12 mm products?

exactly, I install most of the accessories at the Honda shop where I work and run into those problems all of the time. My favorite is when they give you metric to install on the bike but everything else on the accessory is standard :| You end up getting out half of your stupid tools to get the job done :moon:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Most of the bolts heads on my bike are 8,10, and 12mm. I don't think that I have ever got and accessory that was not metric though. There is no reason for that. The %(%^*$&# :flame:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
I wonder if I do a product review and SLAM them for this would they listen/care?

If you write a review I am sure many of us would reply with a few comments. I is definitely a pain in the butt. Plus its another tool I need to carry on long rides.

I also think they should get rid of the allen heads. Always fun when packed with dirt.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yes, i think its bad to use standard threads instead of metric. period. i even measure out liters of fuel in this big measuring cylinder when i make up premix!

what bugs me is that many tuners still work in thous- last time i got a head modded i asked for 0.5mm and got around 0.8mm after the local tuners quick calculation into thous LOL. trouble was, he said, oh thats around x thous, right? and i just said yes since i didnt have a clue so its my own fault.

dont tell anyone, but i even caught Eric using thous and mm's on the same page in his book....shhh, he cant find out i said that or he might get mad and set Rich onto me!

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
You guys need to buy a new KTM. I can completely disassemble my entire bike with a single 8mm T-handle! Well, almost completely.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bclapham
what bugs me is that many tuners still work in thous

Any one who can't do a metric/US conversion correctly for a precision machining operation isn't a TUNER Bruce, he's a METAL BUTCHER.

I'll make a note to save up for a METRIC Bridgeport so Bruce doesn't have to do any ICKY math. LOL :laugh:

As a side note (and taking this flame even further off-topic for a sec) for those who don't know 25.4 is the magic conversion number whether it's inches to millimeters or the other way around.

Just remember that number and you'll be able to do the conversions quickly and always accurately.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
As a side note (and taking this flame even further off-topic for a sec) for those who don't know 25.4 is the magic conversion number whether it's inches to millimeters or the other way around.

Just remember that number and you'll be able to do the conversions quickly and always accurately.

So really, what you are saying is that as long as you know righty tighty, lefty loosey and there's 25.4 of them metric mm things in an inch you can do anything?!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001

Any one who can't do a metric/US conversion correctly for a precision machining operation isn't a TUNER Bruce, he's a METAL BUTCHER.

I'll make a note to save up for a METRIC Bridgeport so Bruce doesn't have to do any ICKY math. LOL :laugh:

i knew i would get someone mad, LOL! :confused: :eek:

is now a bad time to start whining about how fuel specs are quoted in farenheight- now there is a bogud scale of measurement if ever i saw one???

and btw- maths was never my strong point, the science that i do just involves dumping a bunch of stuff in a pot and cooking it for a while- no more difficult, just got to remember how much and what to put in when-not that scientific really- i should have been a chef!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by bbbom

So really, what you are saying is that as long as you know righty tighty, lefty loosey and there's 25.4 of them metric mm things in an inch you can do anything?!

YUP :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000

farenheight... bogud... and btw- maths was never my strong point, the science that i do just involves dumping a bunch of stuff in a pot and cooking it for a while- no more difficult, just got to remember how much and what to put in when-not that scientific really- i should have been a chef!

Let me go out on a limb and say grammar wasn't either... :laugh:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
LOL- yep- i was treated like a backwards kid at school and had to go to remidial classes to learn how to write properly

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
is now a bad time to start whining about how fuel specs are quoted in farenheight- now there is a bogud scale of measurement if ever i saw one???

You're in the United States of America Bruce. SUCK IT UP :confused:

Maybe this will help http://www.math.com/ :p

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I always quote cold temps on oC and higher temps in oF, it just seem right that cold is 0oC and hot is 100oF.Now inches mean nothing to me but miles do.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I will make it easy for you. Just get the Pocket Ref by Thomas j. Glover it has every conversion you could possibly think of.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
another good one to remember: 1 mm = about .040" (.0394"), so, each .25 mm is about .010". 

So, 4" is about 100 mm.  This is handy to keep in mind if you are working with rear suspension sag.

Talk about our screwed up system, have you ever seen an old blueprint where everything was fractional?  27/64", etc., no decimals anywhere!  That makes even that decimal inch system look good!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
years ago, Britain used the standard system- when they built concord, the Brits built their half in inches and the french built their half in MM's- when they came to put the two halfs together, all went fine.

But that doesnt mean that i like the french though.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bruce - If it will make you feel more comfortable I'll see to it that Eric uses his Whitworth porting tools next time he dives into one of your cylinders. ;)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Bruce - If it will make you feel more comfortable I'll see to it that Eric uses his Whitworth porting tools next time he dives into one of your cylinders. ;)

UUGGH Whitworth add in a fine dose of LUCAS electronics and you will know why most British sports cars have the bumper sticker

" My other car is a parts car" :flame:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
27/64ths
27 divided by 64 = .4219"

.4219" x 25.4 = 10.72mm

so...27/64ths = 10.72mm -OR 1.072cm -OR .1072dm -OR .0172m

SO what is that in yards, you ask? :)

.0172 x 1.0936 = .0188 yds.

It's easy stuff! :)

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Next time I go out to work on my bike, Ill be sure not to take that calculator Jaybird's using to figger stuffs.

I have a bird-bath in my yard JB. Oh, and a pine tree. But they are only .0117.

Last edited:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Is your birdbath marble, plastic or concrete? How far from the pine tree is it?

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
I just measured it Roost. It measures out to be concrete (1.5783mm).

Its 6.8890 yards from the tree...or something like that.

All I know is I divided something by 2.54 cuz Rich said too.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Alright, thanks, I don't want to get my birdbath too close to the tree, as there would be the chance of getting some pitch in the water. At 6.8890 yards from the tree, the wind would have to be blowing 42.57 MPH out of the east in order to send some pitch into the bath from the highest branch, which is 14.943 feet high. I seldom have winds like that, so that distance should be safe.

Top Bottom