levert

Jan 29, 2002
I live in Canada, Toronto.When ordering a stock piston there is no number from Kawasaki for an A,B or C piston,what they give you is what you get!
Our bike is a B cyclinder, the question is do aftermarket pistons come in these small incremental size differences? What are the makes and does anyone have some comments, good, bad?
A stock A piston in a B cyclinder is just not as good as a B in a B!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'what they give you is what you get'

Correct. 'Usually' a 'B' I've been told by the kawi-man..and that's what I've gotten from kawi.

Aftermarket pistons do not come in such incremental sizes. They aren't really 'sizes' as much as they are grouped together to reflect differences in machining tolerances.

....which is small. .01mm = .00039" If you're worried about less than 1/2 of one thousandth of one inch......you're probably worrying too much.

Still, Pro-x has the different 'sizes' available. You can check that out HERE (not the dealer in particular, but pro-x kit/sizing information).

You're aware that the oem piston in the 220 is not suitable for use in the first place, let alone use as a replacement piston?

Last edited:

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
tell us more about why stock 220 piston is unsuitable please
Originally posted by canyncarvr
re: 'what they give you is what you get'

Correct. 'Usually' a 'B' I've been told by the kawi-man..and that's what I've gotten from kawi.

Aftermarket pistons do not come in such incremental sizes. They aren't really 'sizes' as much as they are grouped together to reflect differences in machining tolerances.

....which is small. .01mm = .00039" If you're worried about less than 1/2 of one thousandth of one inch......you're probably worrying too much.

Still, Pro-x has the different 'sizes' available. You can check that out HERE (not the dealer in particular, but pro-x kit/sizing information).

You're aware that the oem piston in the 220 is not suitable for use in the first place, let alone use as a replacement piston?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Stuff like:
OEM piston, piston skirts broke off, blowing a hole in the case, im replacing with a wiseco piston kit...

..from HERE!

Try some searches of your own. My patience is gone with over the past 10 minutes wasted looking for 220 stuff ('piston' AND 'skirt' AND 'crack' and variants of same). Seems 'search' is on the fritz again?

Strictly speaking, I do not know that the above quote comes from a 220 user, but it is what a number of 220 owners have had happen. FattyK is one drn'er that had bad things happen to a 220 when the oem piston failed.

The way to avoid the problem is to replace the piston before you even ride the 220. It is commonly regarded to be 'OK' in a fairly stock ride, but stock bikes have blown up, too!

I couldn't stand it!! Tried a few more times with this'n-that..finally got:

THIS!!

Read it!!

AND the links included.

Please do try the search function!

Last edited:

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
levert:

Nice to hear from someone so close.

I live in Bowmanville.

We should hook up some time..'

Buc

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Here's an interesting comment from the Kawasaki dealer here in Ottawa. I asked about ordering a wiseco piston kit for my 220. He said he could get me a wiseco kit but that the OEM pistons were better quality and he had never heard of a skirt failure on an OEM 220 piston. Suggested I just put new rings in every year (mine is a 2001). Hmmmmm???

There was a thread on here not long ago with pictures of a 220 piston failure and the damaged cases.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
yeah and that dealer probably has a better markup on the Kawasaki stock piston which is why he promotes it.
Reminds me of the dealer that told my naive friend that the 80 he wanted to buy could go 60 mph with two people on it. AFTER he bought it he found out about 40 mph with two was all it could do and the bike was a real toad. (not a Kaw but some turkey off-brand)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'he had never heard of a skirt failure on an OEM 220 piston.'

That makes him pretty much an idiot. Well, maybe just a liar.

Either way, you've got his number now, 'eh?

BTW, a further input...from CDave. It's in the links I referenced in the first place, but I don't know how many take the time to actually READ any of it (re: '..there were some pictures somewhere...' Yep..contained in the links I posted in the first place):

As for way the 220 piston cracks while the 200 piston is as durable as they come, you've got me. I can tell you that the material below the wrist pin is thinner on the 220 piston and that could well be the problem. When replacing the stock 220 piston you'll want to pick up a Wiseco piston as apposed to a stock 220 replacement piston or a Pro-X piston as they are both made by the same piston manufacture.

Last edited:

levert

Jan 29, 2002
OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No more OEM's for my wifes bike.I actually called Kawasaki Canada on this issue and as previously mentioned it is just sizing the pistons and cyclinders within tolerances. The fact that you can't buy a proper fit is still beyond them????
I have had excellent luck with Wiseco in KTM's and CR's, I only went after the stock part because of the belief it was better?
Buckat, we are in Whitby and will be riding the TerraNova Enduro this weekend.We also rode all the Kawasaki Trail rides this year. Maybe we can catch up next year as this year is winding down.
Wife rides a 99 KDX, I'm on a KTM 300MXC(kick till Monday).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
This thanks to michelle:

!CLICKY CLICKY!

Fatty_k remembers when the sky hadn't fallen (yet) and all the grass was green... ;)

I think she's working on a FAQ add to address this issssue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom