lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
When installing after market brake pads in the rear caliper, should you use the stock heat insulator shim and stainless shim? Or just put the after market pads in without the insulator and stainless ?

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
What shim are you referring to? Mine never had one and the Kawasaki parts explosion does not show one either. I just put the pads in.

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
If you buy stock Kawasaki pads they have a heat insulator (its made of a white material) and a stainless steel shim. The assembly order is the stainless shim first (against the piston or caliper wall) then the insulator and then the pad. In automobile calipers the stainless shim would help keep brake squeal down. I think the insulator would be good to keep heat to the caliper to a minimum. How do I get my bike info to come up on the screen like every one else ?

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
My Honda CR 125 had the heat shield too. When I tried to put in the aftermarket pads, they wouldn't fit! I called the dealer who sold them to me and he said they were the right pads. I took off the shield and they fit. No problems encountered since installation, so I must not have needed the shield.

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
I tried to install the pads with the heat shields, they would not fit either. Almost but not quite. So I left the heat shield on the piston side in and left the caliper body side out. I encountered no problems so far. I figured it would be best to keep heat away from the piston and fluid side. Thanks for every ones input.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Aftermarket pads generally don’t have a shim or a heat shield - though some designs may have a heat resistant backing. I have never used a shim, or a heat shield and I’ve never encountered a problem.

Top Bottom