rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The bike is a 1986 YZ-125.

I have been nursing the shift lever for a while. It would get a little loose and sloppy and I would tighten it down a little more. It would be better for a ride or two and then get loose again. Repeat the process. I installed a longer bolt through the clamp so I could put a second nut on it to make sure it wasn't coming loose.

Well, last weekend was the end of the nursing. Was on a ride and it just plain slipped, couldn't down shift. Needless to say, I didn't make it up that hill! I could still get enough engagement to up shift so I rode back to camp in third withot slowing down....

Anyway, I need a new shift lever. Basically, the splines on the old one are just worn out. The shaft coming out of the transmission look okay but I bet they are not exactly "new".

I can buy a OEM shift lever for about $45. At least I know it will fit. I am a bit concerned that if the splines on the shift shaft out of the transmission are worn a bit I might continue to have problems with an aluminum lever.

Aftermarket shift levers are available from $20 to $30. What confuses me is that one brand says their model xx will fit just about every Yamaha made and another brand has a dozen different models to cover the various years and models.

I was comparing my shift lever to my son's 1996 YZ-250 and from the naked eye they look compatible. Obviously different but the length, offset, and shaft diameter look the same.

So, anyone have any experience with aftermarket shift levers that you would like to share? Any experience with steel vs aluminum?

Rod

Top Bottom