sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
I am curious if anyone has tried this:

For my KTM 03 250 SX, KTM offers the SXS replacemt shock (big $$),Ohlins offers a replacement. I am sure that if I searched around, I could find more.

What I am curious about, is, would replacing the shock REALLY make a difference? Specifically vs getting the shock revalved.

You figure.. the KTM SXS shock would run me around $1200 if memory serves. A full complete rebuild and valve would probably run me in the $600 range. Is there any real value in a full aftermarket shock other than the cool Ti spring and saying that you have an aftermarket?

Riding skill notwithstanding..

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive seen 2 sxs shocks break the top out springs, and wreak the entire shock.This was in the start of 03-they may have cured the problem but they didnt warranty them.I would look to getting yours working.

Brewster

Dec 2, 2001
A revalve would be dialed in to YOUR weight, riding style, and terrain. Can the aftermarket shocks claim that??

Ride on
Brewster

What I am curious about, is, would replacing the shock REALLY make a difference? Specifically vs getting the shock revalved.

Riding skill notwithstanding..[/QUOTE]

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i had mine revalved and sprung to my weight plus replaced parts needed and it cost
me $325 return shipped it sure made a big diff in hte handling of my bike now i have to do the forks (heavier spring to match the back) to balance things out

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Save your money and get your stock shock revalved to suit you. I know guys who spent big dollars on aftermarket suspension but still weren't happy as it wasn't set up to suit their exact needs and they had to have it revalved to suit them costing more $$$.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Hmm.. thanks.

I have had the bladder and a straight rate spring (my weight) done to my bike. I've only put on about a half hour ride time. Thank you New England weather..

I was just curious if there is any advantage to an aftermarket shock. You can only take a lackluster design so far. And by general consensus.. the WP shock, is the bottom of the barrel. But if the Ohlins (or SXS) shock were better designs to begin with, plus the ability to take them from bike to bike. In the long run (or simply a 2 bike transfer) they have paid for themselves.

Follow my logic?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I think the adjuster on the SXS were better, but the new PDS is a copy of the old sxs shock now-anyone a link for the new one so we can look at the externals?

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
If I had the money to blow it would be on an Ohlins. I just can't believe that the WP factory stuff is that much different than the OEM. WP seems to lack in the enginering dept. In my 30 years of playing with bikes I have yet to see a OEM/WP product that DIDN'T need re-valved. The Ohlins is a very old design but very simple too. Have yet to see anyone that bought one have anything bad to say. The Ohlins is cheaper than the SXS/Hard Parts too.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Marcus: Externals of the SXS - http://www.holeshot.us/cgi-bin/pwrprts/ktm/s_partnum/1218X764-66/single_buy.php

It appears that for all intensive purposes, it's the same. Only $1500 (or so).

KTM-Lew: But.. my question is.. would the Ohlins be better than a revalve? And why? Have you a price on it? I firmly believe that an Ohlins would be an great upgrade.. I am just curious why and if it would be worth the money so long as I haven't terminally injured my shock.

I doubt that we'll ever truly see a shock/fork that doesn't "need" to be revalved. There are far too many variables.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Sweetjeep I think what your looking for is a comparison between the ohlins and the stocker with the same valving? IMO the ohlins would be better due to higher quality materials and closer tolerences. But thats a lot of money considering KTM might change to a linkage in the future.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
There are a few out there who would still consider having a aftermarket shock? That is cool, but we all lost when Penske pulled out. I swear man, this thing is better then any works shock is, or at the very least just as good. I wish we could get them back into it.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Shocknut, have you had the PDS type Ohlins apart? The sec damping arrangement is basically the same as the 84-85 husky twin-shocks I believe. Everyone that rode those said it was a shame that industry pressure forced Husky to go to the single shock design.

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
Elf: Exactly. Since I am FAIRLY confident that Ohlins/KTM isn't going to let me take one of their shocks for a spin and see how it works.. I am trying to find someone out there who has used one.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom