kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I finally rejetted on CC's leading. Great advice! Bike ran good with stock jetting, but spooged pretty bad. Running 155 main, 45 pilot and clip at second from the top. Now the bike runs much much better with little spooge. Will pull it up in third pretty easily (13/50 gearing). Plug chop revealed that I'm a tad fat, which is fine by me. Anyway, my riding compadres keep trying to sell me on an aftermarket silencer. They say it will make a huge difference. I've got the airbox lid modded with the stock pipe. Jetting is about spot on for me, but I would like to not have to get on the pipe to get the pull out of the bike. My buds and formerly KDX owners say a silencer will help this, but everything I've searched here says otherwise. I like the low maintenance of the stock silencer too. I was thinking some different reeds. Any thoughts? Thanks again in advance to all here because this board ROCKS! :aj:

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
The Power Core 2 will give you a noticeable increase. Lets face it a KDX needs all the power it can get. You going to LL's?

2wheeler

Dec 9, 2004
You're gonna see more difference with an after market pipe. I have tried different silencers and seen very little change. The pipe is the key.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
2wheeler is right on. There's definitely a noise difference between silencers, But I couldn't tell much difference in power characteristics between the ones I've tried. Pipes make a big difference.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
I know the pipe is the biggest bang, but I'm curious about adding an aftermarket silencer while keeping the stock pipe. My compadres keep telling me the stock silencer is really restricting my exhaust. I want to keep the stock pipe for the duarbility factor and I like the fact that the stock silencer is maintenance free. All they keep railing on me about is how "that stock silencer is really backing you up!" I'm thinking save the money on a silencer and get reeds instead?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
there is a webpage related to dirtrider.net that has alot of info on kdx,,anyone remember off hand how to get to it? i know it recommended boysen reeds (not the valve), and stock silencer.. someone on here really recommended a pc pipe. maybe you can add a tooth on the rear sprocket too for more rpm without clutch work.

kingsxjt

Dec 7, 2003
OK, OK. Sheesh, you guys quote that link like a cop reading the Miranda warning. I thought I had read all that stuff, but didn't see the silencer swap, that is until I read all the way down to Stage 5. I guess the reeds will be next since I'm not gonna change the pipe. Everything else on that link has been spot on so far. I've geared and jetted the bike just like it was recommended and tada! Just like magic-You guys are strangely intimate with these KDX's. I think I am becoming that way too! Thanks again everyone! :ride:

colhom

Nov 28, 2004
About the silencer, an aftermarket silencer will produce a noticeable power increase, but nothing extrordinary while maintaining a reasonable decibel level. If you really want more power from your KDX, you really need to look into porting, pipes, and an oversize carb along with your silencer, because the silencer alone will not do very much for the $200 you will spend-
Colin

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
kingsxjt said:
.... the stock silencer is maintenance free....

According to my maintenance manual, this is not the case. It gives instructions to remove the small plug underneath, and while reving the engine, strike the silencer with a rubber mallet until no more carbon comes out.

Now, I haven't done this yet, as I'm waiting on a Turbinecore 2 to arrive! I already have the Gnarly....

I'm a noob so take this for what it's worth, but you need a spark arrester to ride on public lands. According to what I've read, it's the law. A silencer like the Powercore might be a problem if someone actually looks at your bike before letting you ride, like a Ranger at a park or something. Don't know if anybody has ever had that happen though....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom