Aftermarket Speedometer/Odometer

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I just installed a Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Bicycle Computer on my KDX and before you start thinking that it is not sturdy enough or won't adapt, think again. This went on smoothly and I am including photos. I got mine at eBay for $23.50. There are models as cheap as $11 or so as well. This one has: current speed, max speed, average speed, ride time(starts and stops when wheel does), ride distance, 2 seperate odometers, speed comparator(indicates if current speed is faster or slower than current average speed), air temperature, time. There are no buttons to push to use, the whole thing is the button, just nudge it forward in it's holder to change modes. It is auto start / off as well. Check out the photos. I took the magnet out of the spoke holder and JB welded it into one of the holes in the front rotor mount. Cool! Note: to see how I mounted the magnet and sensor are mounted, go to my second post in this thread.

Attachments

• speedotop1.jpg
    speedotop1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 648

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Here is a photo of the sensor / pickup mount along with the magnet install. I removed the magnet from the spoke holder that came with the kit and filed it down just slightly to get it to fit.
Almost forgot: to calibrate, you measure the distance it takes for one wheel revolution and enter it. In my case, using a michelin M12 brand new and 12lbs of air with me on the saddle, it covered 2139mm. Super accurate! You can even buy a second holder / sensor and slide this one off the bike and onto another bike. It will keep seperate odometer readings. Just select which bike you have it on, Bike 1 or Bike 2.
P.S. With the counter shaft sprocket reduced to 12 tooth, the bike topped out at 70.1 mph. It might have gone faster, but I got nervous!
:scream:

Attachments

• speedobottom1.jpg
    speedobottom1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:

ninjaman

Feb 10, 2002
I should be getting ine Monday, I am also looking forward in getting it and putting it on the bike. Has to be cheaper than the 103 dollar odometer cable my dealer wanted for one.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Since I have KX forks, the wire was a little short. I cut it and spliced an extra 5 or 6 inches on. It is easy and I used butt splices then RTV and heatshrink. It was really only about a couple inches short so it may be fine for the stock KDX forks. If you aren't any good at cutting wires and splicing them together, you can buy a longer version of the base mount. It comes in 2 other lengths. But I am cheap and so is 5 inches of wire.

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
I bought a unit similar to this for my XR250. I mounted the magnet to the spokes. It didn't work 'cause it was too far away from the sensor. So I made a UHMW bracket that held the sensor out a few inches from the fork, but it got tore up and misaligned by bushes & such. So I took it off. Your idea of JB welding the magnet to the brake rotor will solve my problem.
Thanks

Top Bottom