Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
The original tank on my '80 KDX175 leaked at the front mounting bracket when I bought the bike used. I found another used KDX tank at a motorcycle scrap yard, only to discover the wet knee I was getting was from a small crack along the right side line at the bottom of the tank. Then I bought a used aftermarket tank which I could see would work, but which had a broken plastic petcock. I assumed the KDX petcock would work. It didn't.

Now I have a $500 bike that I really don't want to put a new Clark ($140) aftermarket tank on. I have one bad Kawasaki tank and one good aftermarket tank with no petcock. The tank might be a Clark, but doesn't look just like the Clark catalog pic of the KDX175 universal, but does look really close. It might very well be a Clark, and the Clark petcock might very well work, but no one in Denver stocks it. I'll have to buy the petcock sight unseen, then see if it fits after it's shipped.

The tank is bigger than the stock KDX175 tank and more rounded in the lines, but with the same basic shape. The green is a bit deeper than the factory green. The broken petcock was white plastic, and attatched with phillips head screws (2 of them).

Can anyone confirm that this is a Clark tank before I pay for a petcock that I.m not sure will work?

bake

Sep 20, 2001
I had sucess on my IT Yamahas plastic tank with a soldering iron (with a thin, wide blade) and some scrap plastic (old cheese tub). Why not experement with plastic welding, whats to loose?

Top Bottom