Been2Long

Dec 2, 2009
My new to me bike came with about a 1/2 tank of fuel. The guy I picked it up from had a new bike for a bit so I'm sure this gas has been in there awhile so I'm sure it needs to go. I've got about a 1.5 miles on it on that fuel (I'm pacing myself) and about once a week I fire it up so I can stand in the fumes.

2 questions - First, what's the oldest fuel you'd trust in your bike? And second, what's the best way to drain the tank?

Any fuel tips/best practices would be great....

MotoBK

Dec 5, 2009
I can't believe I actually have somewhat of an answer for someone....since I am such a newbie. You want to turn the fuel switch to the off position, and then find the hose the goes from this valve to the carb. First remove the gas cap. Next, release the clip on the connection to the carb. Have an appropriate sized container to catch the fuel. Pull the hose off of the carb..some gas will come out of the hose..put the hose into or over your catch container...now turn the valve to on position. When the flow stops, you need to turn the lever to the reserve position to drain the reaming fuel. I leaned the bike on its side a bit to get the last little bit out....kind of precarious though. Reattach the fuel line...position the clip on the connection, and you are ready for more fuel.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
Hi there Been2Long, it's not really a matter of how old the oldest fuel you would trust is. It's really a matter of your bike will run like cr@p on old fuel. When I was young, that's a longish time ago, it was said that mixed fuel would loose its lubrication properties if it got real old because the oil would break down or something. Now I have never seen this, but what I have seen is the fuel loose its pep and be more like trying to run your bike on old soup. A few times over the years people have told me that their bike or car won't run properly when it has been stored for about 5 or 6 months and they couldn't figure it out. On those occasions I have told them to put new gas in and lo and behold they run fine (no big mystery there).
Personally I use fresh gas on the day I ride and the longest I would use it after that would be the next weekend. After that I drain the tank and put the fuel in the car (yes 2 stroke as well). The longest I would use gas in a real pinch is 1 month. To drain the tank I just remove it and pour it into a container ready for the car. My tank is normally removed between rides anyway as I only have my bike together when I ride it. I bought some fuel hose that I plug into the fuel tap for those occasions when the tank is not removed and it just drains into the gas can on the floor. NOTE: Do not leave this unattended like my son did when draining his bike, as when the can overflowed it pi$$ed gas all over the garage floor, I was not happy.

P.S. Use the best grade fuel you can :nod:

Been2Long

Dec 2, 2009
MotoBK/Joburble - Thanks - that's exactly the information I was looking for. I'll take the "fresh gas on the day I ride" approach unless I ride back to back weekends.

Can't wait to get the KDX in the woods but have been delaying on purpose. Trying to get this little project finished before I turn the page. Have a peek -

http://www.dirtrider.net/gallery/browseimages.php?c=3&userid=115723

If the link doesn't work, check out my member gallery.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Depends on how the gas is stored. In metal container with metal lid, it will last much longer than if in plastic container most people (myself included) use. If in doubt, get fresh gas.

RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Been2Long said:
My new to me bike came with about a 1/2 tank of fuel. The guy I picked it up from had a new bike for a bit so I'm sure this gas has been in there awhile so I'm sure it needs to go. I've got about a 1.5 miles on it on that fuel (I'm pacing myself) and about once a week I fire it up so I can stand in the fumes.

2 questions - First, what's the oldest fuel you'd trust in your bike? And second, what's the best way to drain the tank?

Any fuel tips/best practices would be great....

Always run 93, or 91 octane. :cool:

exbee

Dec 27, 2009
Doesn't fuel stabilizer allow you to use gas for longer? Why not use some of that rather than drain month-old gas all the time.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
mine is from saturday nov 7th and it runs well got about 1/4 tank left I will probably feed it to the rider mover on friday though looks like the weather might be nice for a trip to Prentice copper state park Tn. on saturday

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
exbee said:
Doesn't fuel stabilizer allow you to use gas for longer? Why not use some of that rather than drain month-old gas all the time.
Greatest stuff since remote control, for stabilizing fuel from turning into varnish and gunking up your carb like a new form of corral reef. Then dump it out, add fresh gas and go. Vintage Bob

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Sta-Bil will keep gas usable for about a year. Without a stabilizer, one month is about the limit for today's fuel.
Take the tank off the bike, turn it over and dump all the old fuel, dirt, leaves, bugs, rust, etc. OUT!!

Top Bottom