aging new rider, please advize on bike

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'3" 220lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
descent shape / compared to a teenager I am probably not going to considered aggressive. Want to avoid the hospital.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
plan on just trail and cross country riding

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have very little dirt riding experience, been 25 years since been on dirt. Ride street bikes, very experienced.

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I am thinking about picking up a used honda crf250x. Definitely a 4 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
they are all in the area

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
don't know, probably will buy used.

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
just want to have fun riding, tired of riding in street traffic.

Are there many people my age still riding?

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Oh yeah.. plenty of folks our age are riding.. At your size you may want to think about the 450x.. But, if $$ is an issue or a used one isn't available, a 250x would do ya ok.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Perhaps like this one: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=156298

Don't stress too much about the bike; some people over-analyze the issue. Just be careful to not get something too ragged out.

I'm 49 11/12 y.o., 240 lbs., & am on my second YZ125. I ride mostly in the woods. I'm having the time of my life, and you'll find a bunch of other 'veterans,' like us.

Like Lance Armstrong says, "it's not about the bike." Just get out & ride!

dirtracker

Jun 21, 2006
brookesdad said:
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'3" 220lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
descent shape / compared to a teenager I am probably not going to considered aggressive. Want to avoid the hospital.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
plan on just trail and cross country riding

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I have very little dirt riding experience, been 25 years since been on dirt. Ride street bikes, very experienced.

5) Do you think you will race ?
no

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
no

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
I am thinking about picking up a used honda crf250x. Definitely a 4 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
they are all in the area

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
don't know, probably will buy used.

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
just want to have fun riding, tired of riding in street traffic.

Are there many people my age still riding?

I am 40 yrs 165 lbs started riding dirtbikes at 30 trailrides,then racing mx for fun untill 34.Stop riding for 2 years after migrating here in USA mised fun. I bougth a yz 125 then started ridig again no friends but stll having fun.Now i had alot riding buddies still ripping the tracks with my 2 smoker never gets tired chassing kids on thumpers.Im looking a newer 2 strokes 144.Ive ridden my budies 4 strokes dont enjoy much makes me grow old fast.Ill keep riding where ever i still throw a leg on that lever.

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
The Yamaha WR450 is popular bike for your riding stlye and size. Electric start is a nice perk. You will have better luck finding a good used WR than you would a honda 450X.

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I'm 43, a C woods rider and I ride a 2001 CR250. I honestly think I want to stay with a 2 stroke because it simply weighs less and costs less. However, I understand why you want a 4 stroke. I agree, a 450X is probably a better bike for you because it has much more torque than the 250X However, a friend of mine, who is about your height and weight, and is a pilot and also wants avoid the hospital, rides a YZ250F. It honestly felt like it had a harder hit than my CR to me and less usuable torque down low, however he does well on it. I'm sure the 250X will be fine for you and if you're use to riding a heavy street bike, the extra weight of the 4 stroke (over a 2 stroke) and starter may not be a big deal. Have fun! :ride:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Aging Rider? Bite your tongue mister, LOL, just kidding.

I'm 42 and ride a YZ250 and a WR250F. You will be amazed at how riding dirt bikes will maintain your youth.

You, sir, are not old :)

I too would recomment the WR450F or the CRF450X because of your height and weight. No offense intended, but the 250's would be just a tad on the weak side for you.

Good luck

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I've ridden a CRF250X; it has plenty of 'grunt' down low, especially for a 'not so aggressive' rider. The 450X has enough power to perhaps be intimidating in some tighter, more challinging situations.

IMHO, it's more fun to ride a smaller, better handling bike aggresively, than to ride a heavier, more powerful bike cautiously. Just my $0.02 worth.

A good friend of mine has a KTM300 EXC and a 200. He likes the power of the 300, and we all like him to ride it, because he is faster on his 200.

brookesdad

Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for everyone's reply, I am going to go with a 450 4stroke due to my size. going to check out the honda and yamaha.

I do like the ability to manhandle a smaller bike but after reviewing the honda 250, there is only 24lbs difference and the same height. Don't think I will be able to manhandle the 250 any more than the 450. Ide rather not kick myself for not getting the more power in a year.

Now just have to sell the street bike first. A promise to the wife who doesn't want a bike collection in the garage.

There is a 95 dealer demo 450x that I am going to check out for 4900 asking.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
$.02 from another 43 year old 225ish lbs. rider of a Honda 450x... "you should own one too!" As you know, both the 250x and the 450x come with the electric leg :cool:

My bike was great out of the box... only mods I've done was to add hand guards and a Scotts steering stabilizer....

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Ken

bikepsych

Jul 24, 2008
Just turned 50 and returning to dirt bike riding. Rebuilding my sons 2001 CR250 and just bought an XR400. Will be fun to embarass him with treachery as opposed to his youth and enthusiasm. ;-) Used to race motocross and enduros.

BikePsych
California

Top Bottom