zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
My kid wants a sportsman 125 class bike to race with. I'd like to get something that can be made reasonably reliable and competitive, without going crazy with $$. I've already got some post vintage Yamahas and like them fine, but the 74/75 yz125 seems a bit elusive. The AT/MXs might be a good choice, but I'm not locked in to Yamahas. How good/easy to find are others, like CanAm, CZ, Bultaco....etc?..
Thanks, Roger
MOVMX#491

pryor

Oct 21, 2006
CZ 125s are kinda hard to find, I don't know about bultacos or can ams. I like the MX Yamahas and they dont seem hard to find. I hear the Suzuki TM 125 is a good bike.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
The CZ 125 would be a choice for the classic 125 class. The best bet for sportsman class is a Honda CR125. Remember what ever was competetive then is competetive now, and vice versa

Jan 3, 2007
duke, the CR125 gets dominated in the 125 class all the time these days by the CRF250R. But the CR would make a good bike.

zoommx, the Yamaha MX would work well. Also, a maico would be nice but would cost $$$.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Thanks all for the input. Ah, I think what Duke was saying is that the Honda 125 would be competitive now in the vintage races, nothing about modern races.
Thanks all.
Roger

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For a few years before the long travel craze ('73 - '75), the CR125 absolutely owned the 125 class.

The main knock on it was it was peaky and hard for beginners to ride, but it flat out ripped compared to the Euro 125s, the Yamaha MX125 and the Suzuki TM125. Until the RM125M, RM125A and the '76 YZ125X came out, the CR125 was the bike to have.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Ah, I think what Duke was saying is that the Honda 125 would be competitive now in the vintage races, nothing about modern races.

You are correct sir. I was referring to an Elsinore, not a modern day 125.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
I'd go with a Penton, not as fast, shifting takes concentration, but a lot more reliable.I watched Pentons fill the top ten spots till Mark Barnett moved up from the XR75 to the Elsinore.But B&E Honda( Danny Bell) was always working on his bikes.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
The Husky's, Pentons and Yamaha 125 MX, not the YZ's, do feature powerbands that are bit easier to ride in that they are easier to keep on the pipe. This is all relative of course. However, the Husky, and Penton would allow you to compete in the Classic class. Some Husky riders do compete in Sportsman category and do well.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
duke said:
The Husky's, Pentons and Yamaha 125 MX, not the YZ's, do feature powerbands that are bit easier to ride in that they are easier to keep on the pipe. This is all relative of course. However, the Husky, and Penton would allow you to compete in the Classic class. Some Husky riders do compete in Sportsman category and do well.

Me and the kid are used to racing 78/79 yz100. I'm expert and he's intermediate. I think these bikes are probably as pipe'y as any. Especially the 79, absolutely no power unless >5000 rpm, so 'easier to ride'....I think we'll be o.k. on any 125 that won't break....much!!

Thanks again for input...hadn't looked much at Pushqavarna's or Bent-one's...I will though :nod: .
Really don't want a Hodaka!! (Hodacracker) :p

Top Bottom